Part 24

Chapter 23

Hidden under the blonde wig, her hair was tightly coiled.  The dark green gown looked nothing but radiant against the skin that had darkened in the past few days.  Her slippers were a shade lighter, but as long as she didn’t lift her gown, no one would be able to see them.  Still, as Annabelle stared at herself in the mirror, she didn’t see herself.  She saw a stranger, someone who was trying to be someone they were not.  Was that not the point of a masquerade, though?  Were you not meant to dress up as another, to appear mysterious?

A small sigh escaped her mouth as she turned away from the mirror.  There was only one problem; she hadn’t wanted to dress like another.  She wanted to be herself; she wanted to show everyone how she had changed.

“Why the sadness?” Cassie asked as she frowned towards Annabelle.

Anna glanced towards the woman and couldn’t help but smile.  Whereas Anna hid her hair with a blonde wig, Cassie hid hers with one as dark as night.  The sapphire gown would have been thought of as risky if not for the fact that the woman was already married.  A diamond pendant hung at the base of her throat, but it was the only jewelry Cassie wore.  For some, it may have made them look bare, but for Cassie, it only brought attention to other parts of her outfit.

“I was hoping to show them that I’ve changed,” Annabelle answered honestly.

Cassie smiled.  “Those of us who care have already seen the changes, and those of us who have not noticed, you should not care for their opinions.  You are a strong, courageous young woman, Annabelle.  Anyone would be delighted to know you, and I can honestly say that I have found in you a true friend.”

“Thank you,” Anna whispered as she fought back the tears that threatened to spill.  “I am honored to say that I have found the same in you.”

A small sniffle came from Cassie before she waved her hand in front of her face.  “Enough of this.  Tonight is a joyous night, and I will not start it with tears.”  They laughed before Cassie turned to grab something from the table behind her.  A frown formed on her face as she glanced from Annabelle back to the mask. 

“What is it?”

Cassie took a deep breath and winced.  “I believe that my mask would be more suited for your gown.”

Annabelle gasped when Cassie held the mask up for her inspection.  The pure black base would match the both of them, but it was the green embroidery that outlined the mask that made it perfect for Annabelle.  “Were you given the wrong one?” she asked as she eased the mask from Cassie’s grip.

The woman shook her head.  “It is one that I’ve worn before, and I was hoping that I could wear it again, but with my gown, I do believe the colors will clash.”

“I would offer mine,” Anna mumbled as she motioned towards her pure white mask, “but I fear that it is less than anything you’ve seen.”

A smile lit up Cassie’s face as she stepped towards the mask.  She ran her hands over it, stopping to touch the small diamonds near the eyes.  “I believe it is perfect.”  She paused.  “That is if you do not mind.  I don’t plan to stay at the ball for long.”

“Your children?” Annabelle guessed, knowing that Cassie had not quite gotten used to having someone other than her watch over her children. 

When Cassie didn’t say a word, Anna didn’t think it odd.  She simply smiled at the woman with pure happiness, because even the dread in the air couldn’t completely diminish the excitement eating at her.  “Turn,” Cassie said with a laugh.  “Let me tie your mask on, and you may do the same with mine.  I have a feeling that Colin will be knocking at your door any minute now.”  The woman winked.  “He has never understood the concept of waiting.”