Part 17

Chapter 16

He walked down the halls, knowing exactly where his driver would be.  The study had become a place of solitude for the man, something Zachary himself had told William only days ago.  How could the man do this?  How could his sensible, quiet driver do something so devious?  William glanced towards Ramsey and winced at the thoughts that were flying through his mind.  Ramsey could be right.  The driver could have been coerced into helping, but if that were the truth, why hadn’t Zachary simply came to William in the beginning?  He had never been unkind to his driver, had never done anything to make Zachary think William a cruel employer.

They rounded the corner; coming to the wide, double doors that were perpetually open.  Sitting in the same chair as always, Zachary held the book in his hands.  He was studying the text as if the most important lessons of life could be found on those pages.  Was Ramsey right?  Was the man innocent of all major wrongdoing?  As William watched Zachary smile at something he read before eagerly turning to the next page, he hoped that Ramsey was right.  He had come to like the younger man, had come to think of him as a friend, something he was sure many would look down upon.

“Zachary,” William said, his tone controlled.  He did not want the man to frighten, didn’t want him to become tight lipped, as he was sure many of the servants would do as they questioned them.

The book in Zachary’s hands immediately dropped to the table as he rose from his seat with a slight flush on his face.  His eyes flickered towards Ramsey and Annabelle briefly before he bowed his head.  “How can I be of service to you, Prince William?”

“You can sit back down,” William said in a low tone as he strolled towards the seat across from Zachary.  “I only wish to ask you a few questions, and then, you may finish reading your book.”

“I-It is not my book, Your Majesty.  It belongs to your father.”

William stared at the cover before smiling slightly.  “You have an interest in medicines?  My dear friend also has the same interests, but I must admit her practices are a little more unorthodox than what you will read in that book.”

Zachary’s eyes lifted for the first time since he began talking, and the hope shinning in them almost made William want to quit questioning him.  “Do you think your friend would allow me to speak to her, Prince William?”  Some emotion flickered on his face, and the hope died.  “Forgive me for asking such a forward question.  It was silly of me to—”

“I am sure she would be delighted to speak with you,” Ramsey interrupted with a small smile that seemed to only send Zachary’s nerves further on end.  “Now, if you plan to ask my cousin questions, I want some answers from you first.”

Zachary looked towards William, and when William nodded his approval, Zachary turned his full attention towards Ramsey.  “I will answer anything you ask, sir.”

Ramsey’s nose curled in disgust, and William had to fight back a laugh.  If Ramsey detested being called sir, imagine how he would feel to be referred to as your majesty and Prince William.  “Let us start by you telling me your sister’s Christian name.”