Part 4

Chapter 3

William stared at the man in front of him before glancing down as the blob in his hands.  “Tell me,” Will said with a grin.  “How does molding this teach me anything about becoming king?” He tossed the clay blob from one hand to the other.  Pieces of it flew from his hand, splattering the nearby furniture. 

As his instructor’s eyes narrowed, William’s smile just widened.  “I am attempting to teach you what patience is.”

Catching the now round clay in his hands, Will paused.  “How does this teach me patience?”

“Excuse me for being so brash,” the man replied, “but something your father has that you lack is patience.  When was the last time that you sat down in silence, thinking over a decision?  When was the last time you thought before you acted?”

Standing to his feet, William waved his free hand in the space between the two of them.  “Walter, you act as if I never think of anything.”

The old man sent William a look that made him flop back into his chair.  Walter clicked his tongue at William, and before he knew what was happening, the old man threw something towards him.  William’s hand flew up, grabbing the object.  It squished in his hand, making him wince in disgust. 

“I have enough clay.  Thank you, Walter.”

Walter smiled, showing off white teeth.  “That was my point, little Prince.  You do not think before you act.”

“Am I free to leave, Walter?” William asked, ignoring the man’s smug expression.

His instructor waved a dirty hand his way.  “You are free to leave when you wish.  You are the Prince of this castle.”  With a sigh, William stood.  “But,” Walter continued, “I have news of Cassandra.”

For the second time since their session, William plopped back into his chair.  Impatience ate at him as Walter walked towards the corner of the room.  The man bent down, swiping his hand in a basin of water.  As he straightened, he grabbed a cloth and began wiping his hands.  “Wash up,” Walter commanded, gesturing towards the water.

William narrowed his eyes at the old man.  “I am not a child any longer, Walter.”

Bored eyes caught his.  “When you father was not there for you, I was.  When you father could not force you to behave, I did.  Now, wash up.”

“Fine,” Will mumbled while standing to walk towards Walter.  Every time Will attempted to put Walter in his place, attempted to show Walter he was just a servant, the man brought up the past.  As a child, William’s father had duties, duties that kept him from spending every hour with his son.  It was Walter who had looked after William and Cassandra as children.  It was Walter who had been there for them when their fathers could not.

With his hands now clean, William stared at Walter until the man finally flashed him a smile.  “She wrote me.”

“She did not write me,” Will mumbled under his breath.

Walter chuckled.  “Do not pout.  A Prince does not pout.  She wrote me,” Walter continued, “but I will not speak of what she told me.”

“Walter.”

“I will tell you one thing,” the old man said in excitement.  “Her daughter—”

“Daughter,” William interrupted with a smile.  “What is her name?”

Walter’s eyebrows drew down in confusion.  “She said she told you the name of her daughter.  Has your letter not been delivered?”  Something flashed in the old man’s eyes, making William narrow his.

“What have you done?”

“Patience, my Prince.  Now, would you like to know your goddaughter’s name?”

William smiled at the man.  “Goddaughter?”

A hand waved in the air dismissively as Walter shrugged.  “Not yet, of course since Charlotte has not been baptized.”

“Charlotte,” William echoed.  “Charlotte Moore.  Tell me, what is her full name?”

“Charlotte Wilma Moore,” Walter said with a laugh.  “What a horrid name for such a lovely child.”

Crossing his arms over his chest, William narrowed his eyes at the man.  “I quite like the name.”

“Of course you would,” a voice called out from the doorway, “seeing as she is named after you.”

William froze as the voice reached his ears.  Staring at Walter, William grinned.  Turning, William threw his arms out in a dramatic way.  “I knew you could not be away from me for long.  How horrid was your life without me in it?  Tell me, did you—”

“Flower.”

William snapped his mouth closed, but the smile stayed on his face.  Mayhap, his stay in the castle would not be a dreary as he initially thought.