Chapter 2

“Blood Bound”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 2

It was a simple notion, the hierarchy of the food chain that is.  He who is the strongest is the one that survives, Leo mused.  After a century of roaming the lands of this great vast earth he had come to accept that simple fact of life.  Albeit was much easier to do when you were the one that sat on top of that food chain.

Ricardo Marino stood in the shadows of the alley way watching his Master. “I can’t believe that you are actually going to go through with it” he spat the words out with disgust.  The two of them were creatures that belonged to the night; predators that laid in wait.  Not beings that took up with a lesser species to play Betty Sue homemaker. 

When Leo made no response he continued to egg him on, “You are seriously going to take a bride with..with….her?”  he asked not even able to say the girls name.  It was as if it was the most despicable thing to ever be done, Leo consorting with a human of all things.

Leo glanced over his shoulder and glared back at Ric.  How dare he belittle his bride to be.  It was eleven years ago that he first set his plan into motion.  He took great care in picking the candidate and in less than twenty four hours he would go to her as promised and complete the ceremony, making her his for eternity. 

“She has a name but you will refer to her as your Mistress and you will treat her with the same respect that you show me”  Leo stated with an air of dangerousness surrounding him.  “She will be your superior and I expect you to bow to her as you bow to me.  Understood?!”

The warning was in the words and Ric heard them well.  He was not happy with his Masters decision but he wouldn’t dare to challenge him either.  He was no fool.  “Yes master” he answered bowing his head and taking several steps backwards.  He could literally feel the anger emanating from his Master, the fury that cautioned him to shut his mouth and give him some much needed space.

After searching his servants face for any sign of disagreement Leo stated, “Good” and  turned back around to peer out into the street.  It was time to hunt.  Time to choose his next victim so that tomorrow he would be at full strength when he went to his bride to be. 

It had been hell staying away from her all of these years, sticking to the shadows only watching her from the distance.  As a little girl she mesmerized him with her unruly blond curls and soft dove grey eyes.  As a woman she completely captivated him in every way imaginable. Yes, Leo thought to himself, he chose his bride very well when he saved little Shelby Tanner.  Very well indeed.

“I’ve found our mark” Leo said quietly zeroing in on a younger couple walking down the street.  It was a male and a female holding hands.  Young love, it was too bad they had no idea of how soon that love would come to an end.

“Follow me” he told Ric wrapping himself in a cloak of darkness disguising himself from the human eye.  The two stalked their prey down the street and around the corner to where the young couple stopped at a navy blue Toyota Camry in the back of a parking lot.  The light that should have lit up the parking lot had long since been blown out leaving only the dim glow of the moon to see by.  For beings such as him self and Ric it was no big deal, their eyes adjusted well to night vision.  Not such a good thing for the unexpecting couple just feet from them now. 

The situation couldn’t have been more perfect if he had imagined it himself, Leo thought.  Not another soul in sight, this was going to be like taking candy from a baby.  

Removing his cloak Leo stood just a step behind the couple, “Hello” he said, his tone both inviting and warning at the same time.  The female squealed at the sudden appearance of the two dark men while the male shoved her behind him; as if that would do either of them any real good.