Chapter Two

Sarah kept wiping the tears off her face with her hands as she drove, sniffling. The tears seemed to never want to end and of their own volition, they kept spilling and blurring her vision of the road. The night breeze had always been refreshing to her but definitely not tonight. She was devastated. How could they do this to her? How could they betray her so? She thought Fred had always loved her but she had been wrong. He had only been using her because of her father.

He was nothing but a gold-digger and a big phony and he had played his cards right and had gotten her to fall in love with him. Thinking of how she had met him at a gala and how sweet and charming he had been that night, one would never have suspected a thing that he could be this despicable.

She had ignored all his advances but he had kept showing up in places she was, making it look like a coincidence, and with much persistence and more of his charms, within a month, she couldn't say no anymore and she had fallen flat in love with him.

Helen who was her best friend had been the first to know, and now that she thought of Helen, her hold on the steering tightened into a grip. Helen, the backstabbing bitch! Her damn slut of a friend had always envied her in everything, but Sarah had never suspected she would go this far to hurt her.

When they were in high school and college, Sarah was always the girl everyone wanted in their parties, and wherever she went, she made sure Helen tagged along so she wouldn't feel left out. She had always treated Helen like the sister she never had and now this? No one could be trusted after all, no one!

Sarah was the one all the boys and men wanted. It wasn't her fault that she was beautiful and was from a wealthy home! In high school, she had been the head cheerleader, while Helen played softball but she had never made Helen feel she was in any way inferior to her. Never!

Sarah had been voted as Prom Queen, but she had never spited Helen in any way with her social status, even when Helen didn't want to attend the prom because she had no date, Sarah had fixed her a date with one of the popular guys in school.

After high school, she had also insisted Helen go to the same college as her and since Helen could not by any way afford the tuition fees, Sarah had implored her father to foot every expense till they had both graduated.

After college, Sarah had even used her influence in securing a good job for the bitch and all she got back from her was pain and betrayal. She slammed the steering with her fist as she thought of the victorious smirk which she had seen on Helen's face for finally taking away something that was of great importance to her.

Now that she reminisced on the past, some things began to come to light. She had always thought boys and men wanted her because she was beautiful, but Fred had proven her wrong like her other stupid cheating boyfriends in the past.

They had only wanted her one way or the other because of her wealthy father and his great influential connections. Nothing more! None had loved her. They all wanted to be seen around with the richest girl in school and travel places with her. That was all she was worth to them all!

Was it her fault that she was born with a silver spoon? Was it her fault that her father spoilt her silly because she was an only child?

So, all her life, she had lived a lie, lured with deceit, fake smiles, and empty promises. The girls who flocked around her, the men who swooned at her presence, they had all been acting to please her! Including Fred and Helen! The only two people she trusted in the world besides her father.

Losing the zeal to drive anymore now that she was miles away from Fred, she slowed the car to the shoulder of a deserted bridge, parked, and got down, leaving the door open. The semi-coolness emitting from the rough ground of the bridge penetrated the soles of her feet, and she didn't care, neither did she care about the expensive shoes she had abandoned in Fred's house right now.