Chapter Seven

Two weeks later, Sarah restlessly paced the room, deep in thought. Yin watched her with interest but said nothing. Anita was about to say something when the door opened. Gladys stepped into the room and smiled when she saw Sarah who stopped at that moment to look at her.

"Just the person I'm looking for!" Gladys cheerfully said to Sarah quickly regarded all the sisters who with a flitting glance but they all averted their gazes except Sarah who continued to stare at her, wondering what she wanted. "You have been summoned." Gladys finally told her.

Sarah frowned. "Yeah, just exactly what I wanted too. I need to speak with the Abbess, anyway."

"Is all well?" Gladys asked, her smile waning a bit in concern.

Sarah glanced at the other sisters who were just too quiet to a fault and she wondered why they always acted otherwise around Gladys. When she noticed that they weren't going to say anything to help her situation, she gave up and blurted out to Gladys. "I need explanations!"

Gladys regarded her for a moment and nodded. "Shall we?" She gestured a hand towards the door.

Without a word, Sarah walked through the open door with Gladys following behind and softly closing the door after them.

As Sarah walked side by side with Sister Gladys through the deserted hallways and up and down several flights of stairs, heading towards the Abbess' office, she didn't miss the obvious sideways glances Gladys had been throwing her way but she said nothing.

When they finally turned into the last hallway leading to the Abbess' office, Sarah finally spoke, breaking the silence, unable to contain her thoughts anymore. "Why do you keep doing that?" she asked.

"Doing what?" Gladys simply asked, feigning ignorance.

"You have been glancing at me." Sarah flatly stated. "Why?"

Gladys sighed and stopped; Sarah did the same. "I know you are curious about what's going on in here."

"Absolutely! But is it that obvious?"

"Yes," Gladys answered, "words are getting out about how you have been going around asking questions you shouldn't be asking... And when words about your inquisitiveness get to the hearing of those who run this place, it almost never ends well for the meddler, Sarah."

"Pardon me but I can't keep pretending that there isn't something messed up about this place" Sarah frowned. "Just last night I couldn't even have a good night's sleep because of the incessant screams from somewhere in the convent."

"It's simple, you just play deaf." Gladys nonchalantly shrugged a shoulder. "The earlier you stop asking all the wrong questions and pretending like you know nothing, the better for you Sarah." Then she cupped Sarah's cheek as she added in a concerned tone. "You are such a promising young woman and it will be so sad to have you leave us soon in the wrong way."

"Why are you even telling me all these anyway?" Sarah questioned, moving her head away so that Gladys' hand left her cheek and dropped.

"Because I care about you." Gladys blurted. "And I'm not telling you; I'm warning you. Do you think we all can't fight back? You think we are docile? We only keep mute because we are helpless! Those of us who turn rebellious or try to escape only end up dead and I'm so not ready to be one of them. Listen to me Sarah, no one has ever gotten out of here alive through the tight security, not a single woman or girl." Then she sighed as she added, "There's absolutely nothing we can do to get out of this situation, nothing Sarah, so quit fighting and just accept this like the rest of us if you want to live long."

Sarah hesitated, shocked at Gladys' attitude of her acceptance of total despair. What was wrong with all these women? Why would they just accept this kind of life imposed on them without even trying to put up a fight! It was rather alarming! She had always thought Gladys had an edge over the other nuns since she was something like a personal assistant to Mother Felicia, but now, she had second thoughts.