Chapter Nine

"This place reeks of miscreants." Stefano Franchetti said in a gruff but partial-quiet voice as he brought his cup of whisky to his lips. He was a tall man in his early thirties with a handsomely defined face but with a rugged look attached to it and his thin sensual lips hardly ever smiled.

His eyes were captivating as they were dark and intimidating. He was one of the renowned Sicilian Mafia lords and was feared and respected by almost all who knew him across the world, not to mention that he had legal firms and businesses like casinos, restaurants, hotels, boutiques and the likes scattered across developed countries, but was involved in other illegal businesses like smuggling of ammunition and hard drugs, money laundering and any other shady business which amassed wealth.

He was a billionaire known to tolerate zero nonsense from his associates or clients and had killed a lot of people without a second thought, but he had an exception though, he never harmed women nor children.

"You have always been sensitive around rivals and associates, Stefano." His aide and right-hand man, Dino stated, scanning the gathering. He was as tall and almost handsome as Stefano but was the exact opposite in character. Compared to his boss and best friend, he was calm, collected and was loved and admired but since he was a bit bashful especially around women, Stefano had all the girls to himself.

"Whose idea was it that we come down to this damn place in the first place?" Stefano questioned, as Dino flicked open a silver lighter and thrust it towards him to help light a cigar between his lips.

Dino glanced at him as he flicked close the lighter's lid and returned it to his pocket. "If I recall quite correctly, it was yours."

"What was I thinking?" Stefano muttered to himself, exhaling a cloud of smoke through his nostrils and lips. "Remind me again why in the world I would want to be in a convent watching half-naked nuns parade themselves like goods?" He asked flatly.

Dino shrugged a muscled shoulder as he threw a quick glance around at the several statues of saints in the great hall. "It's not really a convent as you think."

"Yea, right." Stefano stated indifferently, glancing to his side as more important guests arrived. The hall was almost filled with a lot of big guns from across the world, both men and women of all ages and from different walks of life and he knew at least sixty percent of them.

"Giuliano is here too." Dino informed him.

Stefano scanned the crowd until his eyes rested on a man in his mid-fifties with a beard, conversing with another influential guest, his underboss and some of his guards surrounding them both. Giuliano Rizzotto was his arch-enemy and rival and was also a Mafia Lord, but compared to Franchetti, he stood no chance with the younger Lord. Although, he knew Giuliano had been trying to eliminate him for years in order to be the one at the top since Franchetti was his top competitor. Each attempt by Giuliano at his life had failed and Stefano had been a tad bit reluctant to strike back. He knew if he wanted the old man dead, he would do it himself instead of sending hitmen or assassins to carry out the job because that would definitely not be fun for him. "The serpent!" He hissed in undisguised contempt then took a sip from his cup before adding. "I should have known he'd be here."

"Giuliano revels in ill-treating beautiful women." Dino said. "One out of his numerous dark fantasies."

"So, I heard." Replied Stefano, flatly.

"Lookie who we have here. Well, I'll be damned if it isn't the very Stefano Franchetti himself." A woman in her late forties, beautifully dressed in an expensive gown with a neat makeup meant to hide her little wrinkles, approached Stefano. "I would never have expected to see you here."