Sound of the Sea

*** Hi everyone, I hope you're all enjoying! I have practically finished writing the whole story now, so I'll be uploading the next parts every week or so. Please leave a comment to let me know what you think! :) ***

Running my hands over the cool stone walls of Winterfell, I couldn't help but stop and take in the sight of falling snow once more. It never failed to thrill me, despite its frequency increasing of late.

Much had happened since the death of Lord Stark, almost too much for me to take in.

Robb had written to me several times, and by now I knew his hand writing better than anyone's.

I had not seen him since Brandon was born, which was nearing six months now.

It hadn't gotten easier.

Robb always wrote two letters, one formal to Maester Luwin and another to me. Mine always seemed to be longer, and I was grateful for that. I knew he missed home, and how so much he wished he could see Brandon again. But now thousands of leagues away, it almost seemed impossible.

They called him The King in the North now, which in turn made me Queen. That too seemed unreal, though nothing had changed. Robb had won every battle against the Lannisters, but he still wasn't home.

As the snow fell the winds picked up, tugging the small flakes in all sorts of directions. Winterfell hadn't changed; it had just become less busy. Not many travellers passed through anymore, and most of the men had gone south with Robb.

Leaving the low wall of the inside of the Keep, I walked the familiar route to the stables, a place I'd had little time to visit. I missed Gilly and Jonquil like I missed Robb, except I always knew they would be with me.

As I entered the stables Jonquil whinnied at just the sound of my steps, and Gilly's greying face looked down at me with a warmth I hadn't felt in a long time.

Both nuzzled my grey fur cloak, almost knocking me off my feet, but I didn't mind. I couldn't wait for Brandon to learn to ride. I'd already decided it would be Gilly to teach him, just like she had me. Smiling sadly, Westeros seemed a much simpler place back then.

I watched as the two horses' ears perked up, and Jonquil grumbled to herself. "What's wr-" My question was suddenly cut off as a horn sounded from outside. Had Robb returned?

I didn't hesitate to pick up my skirts and skip outside, only to find a fair amount of workers and guards looking just as bewildered as me.

"The Kraken!" I heard someone shout from the distance. What did that mean?

The Greyjoy banners suddenly fluttered through the gates – a golden kraken on a black field.

I still remembered him, Theon Greyjoy. I felt a sigh of relief at first, remembering how close Robb and Theon had been. Surely he is here on Robb's behalf. But something didn't feel right.

They hadn't noticed me. Well, of course, they wouldn't. Why would any Queen be stood amongst workers and townspeople, dressed in a scruffy pelt cloak and smelling of horse?

"Winterfell is ours," Theon announced, trotting around the yard upon his horse, about a hundred other men surrounding him. "I am your Lord now."

I gulped and backed away, uncertain if this was actually happening or just a dreadful nightmare.

It seemed to be both.