Surrounded by Wolves

Gilly and I returned after the several hours we’d spent leaping over logs and bushes, enjoying the cool winter breeze. Once we reached Winterfell once again, I dismounted and began to walk back to the stable. The keep was still quiet as the hunting party had not yet returned, and the hammering of iron and steel had softened.

Beside the stable entrance several guards of my own house were training their arm, slicing at each other and the helpless wooden men that were there for practice. One boy fought on his own against a wooden man, hitting it relentlessly with his sword. He wore no sigil or colour as far as I could see... Where did he belong?

I couldn’t recall seeing him at last night’s feast, but it was near impossible within the packed hall. As I passed him to enter the stables, he turned to look towards me briefly but ended up studying me much longer than intended. “Lady Tyrell.” He addressed me, dipping his head.

He had long black hair and was no older than Robb. He had the face of a Stark, cold and knowing. “Yes?” I replied, wondering how this boy knew me but I did not know him. “Forgive me.” He said, his facial expression unchanged. “I am Jon Snow, Ned Stark's… son.” Jon spoke with resentment, almost as if he didn’t want me to know who he was. I was taught the bastard names of the realm a long time ago, and Snow was that of the north.

I was not told Lord Eddard had a bastard child, and it surprised me. He seemed like such an honourable man. I too dipped my head. It wasn’t necessary, but I thought it might make him feel better. “It’s nice to meet you Jon Snow.” I said, slowly continuing into the stables before he stopped me again.

“You’re to wed my brother, Robb.” He declared. Before I could reply, Gilly had pushed me aside and shoved her nose towards Jon, sniffing at one of his pockets. He laughed, lifting out a handful of oats and feeding them to her. “I usually feed the crows.” He said, explaining why he had oats in his pocket.

Regaining my balance, I patted Gilly on the neck – inaudibly thanking her for the embarrassment she had just caused me. Just as I was about to speak I was interrupted again, but this time by the hunting party’s return.

The riders trotted in, the Starks were at the front and men carried the carcasses of deer and rabbits behind them. Men and women of Winterfell suddenly appeared from their houses, gathering around their Lords, praising and congratulating them. I watched in awe.

“Lady Tyrell.” Jon said, drawing my attention back to him. “Allow me to take the horse back, it would be no trouble.” He clearly wanted to leave the courtyard now it was lively again, keeping out of sight and hidden. I didn’t usually let others care for Gilly, but strangely I trusted my half-brother to be. “Thank you, Jon.” I replied, patting Gilly on her neck and handing him the reins. He quickly departed.

 I stood alone for a moment, shuffling on my feet, before turning to face the crowd again. Slowly walking forward, I worked my way through the people and towards Robb, who had promptly dismounted. I stood behind him as he adjusted his saddle, his horse watching me warily.

He turned then, looking surprised to see me but he smiled instantly. “My Lady.” He spoke in his deep Northern tone, dipping his head in respect. “Lord Stark.” I said with a hint of a smile, moving towards his horse and brushing my hand down its nose. “Did the hunt fare well?” I questioned.

“It did. Two deer and several rabbits we return with. There was another deer, but the wolves took it before us. But, I suppose, they too have to survive.”

The thought of wolves outside these walls frightened me slightly. Not only was I among them, I was surrounded by them. “Although-” Robb began again, resting an arm over his horse. “I could have done with some company.”

“What about your brother, Bran?” I said, looking around to find him, but it seemed he had already departed.

“He’s young.” Robb said, and I could only bet that he wished that Jon Snow was his real brother. “Perhaps you should join us next time.” He spoke jokingly, but his face serious.

“Ladies aren’t allowed to hunt.” My tone was bitter, remembering the occasions when I’d argued with my brothers and father to let me ride with them.

My lady is.” He smiled and picked up my hand, leaving it with a single kiss.