Chapter 7

I rubbed Josh's back while he kept dry heaving, I kept saying that it was okay, that he was alright. Josh just shook his head and I grabbed my only other water and held it up to his face.

"Here, have some to get at least something into your system", though that wasn't what I was worried about I was more worried because the wolf started growling at Josh. He had a defensive stance ready and I knew that he was aiming to get Josh. I put my hand up and slowly walked to the wolf

"Easy boy, he's a friend" the wolf didn't change his stance and I knew that he could sense the curse. I looked behind me towards Josh and saw that he was watching the wolf, he had the look of a predator spotting his prey.

"Josh?" he never took his eyes off the wolf he just watched him. Something though seemed different his eyes had turned from his usual green eyes  to black. It made me feel nervous, almost scared. I've never seen an eye color change that drastically. I felt the need to walk slowly away from him but I knew if I did he would think I was scared of him, but why do I want to so bad?

"Josh. Are you okay?" my voice wavered a bit and this seems to catch Josh's attention he snaps out of his haze and looks at me with confusion, but his eye's don't seem to change back.

"Y/n? What happened?" I was debating walking to him to pull him in a hug but I knew that right now probably wasn't the best after what I had just witnessed.

"Nothing, I think the wolf just spooked you" Josh took a step and I held my breathe out of instincts, Josh seemed to notice and took a couple steps back. We kept staring at each other, neither of us not making a move.

"Y/n, may I have a word" Mike sounded more like I had to talk to him much rather than a question. I broke the eye contact and headed towards Mike but when I was turning around I could see Josh hanging his head. Mike walks into the chapel and I follow, he stops and turns to me with an intimidating look.

"Mike I know what you are going to sa-"

"Y/n. Josh is turning each and every moment even though we don't want to admit it he is. I think we need to lock Josh up, just until we find group one or the Indigenous people. I think that maybe if they were going to do the unfinished ritual than maybe we can see if they'll do the ritual on Josh".

"No way in hell are we going to lock up Josh! He's still human Mike. I do think that we should find the Indigenous people and group one but we take Josh with us! Understand?"

"Y/n, stop being so stubborn you have to realize we have other people here as well. Others who could be killed because of your stubbornness!" I felt stunned that Mike would say that, I didn't let it show or if I did it wasn't really noticeable.

"Fuck you Mike. You want to go and find group one go ahead but if Josh is staying I'm staying. If you got a problem then as I've said before 'I'll feed you to the Wendigo's'"  I crossed my arms and stood my ground. I'm not backing down no matter what; Mike tries to grab me to throw me over his shoulder but I knew better so when he grabbed me I side kicked his knee in and put my hands on his shoulders and swung myself over top of him and put him in a choke hold and held his right arm behind his back.

"I'm not fucking around Mike. I will feed you to them. I'm not leaving Josh to be by himself again" Mike tries to wiggle out but I had him in a tight choke hold and tightened my hold on his arm. Olivia, Derek, Josh and the wolf all walk into the chapel and see Mike in my choke hold. Olivia and Josh both run towards us and try to pry us apart but I wasn't backing down, Mike has been against finding Josh from the beginning and I wasn't going to let him ruin my rescue mission.

"Y/n! Let go he's running out of air" Olivia says trying to pry my arm around him away. Josh finally takes action and lifts me up in the air and swings me around suddenly, that shocks me and I reluctantly let go. Josh puts me down and I refuse to look at him but I knew he was disappointed, I look pass him and see Mike on all fours trying to catch his breath. Josh put both of his hands on my shoulders and looks at me with anger

"What the hell? Why did you have Mike in a choke hold?" I just look at him with no emotion, I knew I was loosing hope in everyone now. Mike was a good friend and I trusted in him. I thought he would understand that I would not give Josh up even after I found out he was turning. But alas it proved that the only person I can trust right now is my self, as usual.

"He deserved it" Josh just shakes his head and looks at me getting a little bit more angry

"It doesn't matter if he deserved it or not, we are trying to all get out and we have bigger issues with the Wendigo's and the Indigenous people, we don't need to turn on each other" I just scuff and snake out of his grasp.

"Whatever" I know I didn't want Josh angry at me or to leave, but right there and than I didn't want to talk or be near anybody. I know I don't want to get anybody killed but I knew that the reason I came were for Josh and Josh alone. Josh sighed and looked at me with exhaustion, he turned and walked over to Mike to see if he was okay. I knew everyone would be giving me that disgusted look, how ironic we all think that monsters are things that look different but really any human can be the monster in someone's eyes.

They kept their attention on Mike and I knew I needed to get some air so I slowly walked out making sure I didn't make any noise. I was successful in getting out and stood there in the cold crisp night thinking about everything that's happened, from Beth and Hanna dying to Josh and I's little talk right now. I saw a piece of glass on the ground beside me, I decided to pick it up and look at myself. The shocking thing was that I knew who I was but when I looked into the glass it showed a different person. Someone who is turned into a true 'monster', there were black bags around my eyes and my skin looked like it lost more of it's color-probably from lack of sleep and worry-, my eye's looked rough and hard. Not like they used to be, nice and soft. Maybe I should have saved the twins or even took their place, maybe everyone would be safe and none of this would have happened. What did Chris say about events like that.. I think it was the butterfly effect?

I kept looking in the glass and saw something move in the distance. I quickly looked behind me and right in front of my face was the old Indigenous women. She stared at me like before but she was not escorted by her entourage.

"I know who you are" she didn't say anything but kept looking at me.

"I'm really sorry about what happened to you and your grandchild" when I said that she moved closer to me and softly grabbed my left hand with her right hand-that was occupied with the bones from the necklace- she put something in my hand and whispered in my ear.

"Place these in all seven entrances, do it quick and fast before dawn. If you don't you will be cursed just like I was"

"Will this save Josh?"

she nods and looks at me with such sadness, she caresses my cheek and walks into the night. The touch seemed familiar, my eyes go wide when I realized that she was the one that touched my cheek in my sleep; I didn't know what to do in that moment.

I decide to look at what she put in my hand and I see exactly seven gems in my hand. One was an elephant, another was a dog, an elk, a dolphin, an elephant, a turtle, and of course a butterfly. I kept staring at how beautiful each of the gems were hand carved and seemed to glow.

I was broken away from my memorized state when I heard people calling my name. I knew that I couldn't tell him what had happened they'll think I'm crazy to listen to her but there was something about her that made me feel at ease. I knew I couldn't take them with me so I decided to go alone; I unclipped my radio and dropped it into the snow and took off taking my last hope into saving Josh.