Prologue

Quick run down of warnings: Drugs, illegal activities, prostitution, gang violence.

****************
He slipped in the back door of the restaurant, standing at the edge of the kitchen. One of the chefs glanced at him curiously but went about his work. He navigated around the less busy section of the kitchen and into the back hall of the restaurant.

"Lucas, good to see you," an older man greeted him. "I guess it's Tuesday already, huh?"

Lucas nodded quietly, trying to ignore the rumbling in his stomach so close to the kitchen. The older man cleared his throat. "I'll have someone fix you something to eat and you can tell me what you know," he said. "Go have a seat outside my office and I'll talk to them."

Lucas shuffled down the hall into a chair placed outside of Tom's closed office door. Lucas stared at the door curiously, as he had yet to ever be allowed inside. He wasn't stupid enough to ask about it.

Tom came back a few minutes later with a Styrofoam container of soup and a plate of grilled cheese. Obviously it wasn't the Italian restaurant's featured dish, but it was what Tom would give him for no charge. Lucas went in on the sandwich first while taking sips of the soup.

Once Lucas was mostly through his food, he set the plate down on his lap and balanced on his thighs. He cradled the soup in his hands and let the warmth seep in. "There's a new distributor working down off Lemay and 14th," he said. "Selling crack I think."

Tom nodded and smiled tightly. "Yes, I know that."

Lucas flicked his eyes down worriedly at his meal. He was supposed to tell them something new for this to work. "It's fine, don't worry about it," Tom spoke up quickly. "Finish eating first, then I've got something for you."

Lucas didn't need to be told twice to finish his food. He drank down the rest of the soup and the finished the crust of his grilled cheese before giving Tom an expectant look. Tom shifted stiffly on his feet and rubbed the back of his neck. "We need you to do something... different."

Lucas tensed in his seat and waited for the other shoe to fall. They had been working like this on and off for a few months—He would get some bit of news related to drug trade off the streets, and Tom would give him something to eat and maybe a little money.

He never asked what kind of business Tom was really into but it wasn't hard to figure, and now it was coming where Tom would be expecting something more in return.

"I have someone who's going to meet with you and explain it to you," Tom admitted. "But it's up to you." He motioned his head towards the closed door of his office.

Lucas ground his teeth. He didn't really like to beat around the bush and so he asked. "Is it sex work?" He was familiar with that little string coming attached.

"No, no," Tom assured him quickly. "We just need you to run a little errand. There would be an arrangement of food or money for you, more than usual."

Lucas held in a sigh and bit his lip. "Alright," he agreed quietly.

Tom tried to give him an encouraging smile. He was always a nice guy, despite whatever business he was otherwise involved in. Lucas wondered if maybe Tom had kids at home that he was taking care of, and why he tried to help Lucas out.

Tom opened the door to his office and let Lucas step in first. It was neatly kept, which Lucas had figured wasn't something Tom was good at. There was a man a few years younger than Tom standing behind a desk, though he looked less friendly.

He gave Lucas a demeaning once over as he chewed on a toothpick. "He's not a user?" the man asked.

"No," Tom answered quickly, giving Lucas a quick pat on the back.