What Happens in Miami

"Looks like it's coming along," Lucas commented, not that he really knew what a club was supposed to look like. He had to duck a few low hanging wires, but he wasn't sure why Joshua made him wear the hardhat. It was the bar and DJ area that was all under construction, not the upstairs hallways.

"Your office would be back here. Alex would be managing the club out of the back as well. If he or I aren't here by chance, then it's on you, got it?" Joshua explained, pointing around some of the back rooms. "We're working something out with the cartel on sex work; they run girls out of our club and they let us peddle drugs out of their territory here. It should work out pretty well as long as there is no drama."

Lucas nodded and glanced back at the still-in-the-works club. "Do you know who would be on security?"

"Whoever we can get to work as muscle, some new guys and some that have been with us a little while. We've got a lot of guys working their way up; a lot of them will be stepping into security here. Nick will run coordination from the bar by pointing customers in the right direction of girls, and blowing off people he thinks might be risky."

Lucas cleared his throat. "So would now be the time to also tell you that there's something going on between Nick and me?"

He could see Joshua's jaw tense as the older man glanced off—though he didn't look all that surprised, just irritated. "Oh really?"

"I figure, better to tell you than you to find out. It's not like we're actually dating right now, but—"

Joshua cut him off with a flick quick of the hand. "Just... don't be stupid about it. Keep work and everything separate. You and he have different allowances."

Lucas was sure it would now find its way to Alex's ears as well, but those were the only people that needed to know. Joshua cleared his throat and rubbed at his jaw. "I assume we need to work something else out with Ron, then?"

"Yes," Lucas replied.

"Alright, moving on from that. We're going to take a two week trip to our Miami operations. Alex and I will be checking the ranks down there, restating presence. We've got a guy down there who runs clubs, and he can help you get ready for what you'll be stepping into," Joshua explained.

"Miami?" Lucas echoed with a sneer. "Isn't that like... humid?"

Joshua chuckled and adjusted his hardhat. "Well it'll be a nice winter break. Warm weather and all. And aren't you going to ask?"

"Ask what?" Lucas questioned.

"If Nick is coming with us. Well I guess, with you," Joshua teased, holding back a grin.

"Is he?" Lucas squeaked, trying not to seem too eager.

"I can make it happen. It'd be good for him to get bartender training before we actually throw him behind the bar here. But if you don't think it's worth it for us to pay to bring him all the way to Miami with us, he can just do his bartending training here." Joshua hummed thoughtfully.

"No, I mean, if you want to bring him to Miami, I won't complain," Lucas muttered. "But you're talking like it's a business trip, and you just said to keep that separate."

"Good boy." Joshua clapped a hand on his shoulder. "Officially, we're all going on vacation so there will be some downtime. At least that's how it looks to any watchful eyes tracking our flight plans down to Miami. Yeah?"

"Got it." Lucas nodded dutifully. "So Miami, huh?"

***

"What is this?" Lucas complained, stepping out of the airport and pulling at the collar of his shirt. "It's winter, and I'm hot."