Three Month with Trey

Jamie Rae Cooper.

The name alone made the guys at school turn their heads. At seventeen she was the most sought after girl in school. Yet my Coop had never been on a date. And that's down to me. We had just got back from her father's wedding. She was sleeping next door at her mom's best friend's house. Her mom died when we were kids. She took it hard. Hell, everyone did.

The street light gave her this almost heavenly glow as she bounced my basketball on the driveway of my house. Her pink dress floated around her knees in the gentle breeze that made the night just a little cooler. "Let's see what you got Coop!" She glared at me. She hates basketball and can't play for shit. But she tries her hardest. "Come on Coop, make this free throw and I'll take you for ice cream tomorrow for breakfast."

"You know I suck at this so I deserve the ice cream for even trying." She bounced the ball twice and closed her eyes so tightly her nose scrunched up near her eyes. I laughed. And the ball hit the floor. It went nowhere near the basket. She picked it up and threw it in my chest. I jumped back pretending to be winded but she saw right through me. "See you in the morning, asshole." She smiled and walked into the house.

I ran upstairs past my dad. My bedroom faces hers so I know when she's just got in bed. The curtains were slightly open and I saw her looking at the picture frame next to the bed. It's a photograph of her mom. She closed her eyes. After a moment, she turned off the light. Time to strike. I grabbed my cell, knowing hers is still on and under her pillow.

'Sweet dreams Coop. Forever....x' Less than a minute later she replied.

'And always x. P.S turn your damn light off! :) '

I let out a silent chuckle and turned off my light. Unable to sleep I looked through the pictures on my cell. Seventy per cent of them were of me and Jamie. Her smile was so bright, you couldn't help but smile back. Everybody loves my Coop. I eventually drifted off to sleep, dreaming of Jamie.

*********

When I woke up the next morning her curtains were open and she was gone. Her dad's car was on the street. He's been trying to persuade her to go to Maui and Boston with him, Taylor and Katie. Lucky for me she keeps saying no. I get Coop as my neighbour all summer long. It's great! I get to keep an eye on her and tell any guys to back the hell up fifty paces minimum.

I quickly showered, not bothering to dry my hair when I get out. I threw on a Lakers shirt Coop got for me last Christmas. With my low hung Levi jeans and converse I headed next door. I spent a lot of time there over the years with Jamie so I jumped over the fence into the back yard and slid open the door.

"Dad. I'll be fine. Go. Enjoy." I smiled as she flicked a spoonful of Lucky Charms at James.

"Hey Mr. and Mrs. S. Good morning!" The smile wouldn't leave my face. I liked this family. They were cool. Jamie loved her dad and little bro more than anything in the world. Mr. S was always cool with our friendship. "Coop you ready?" I saw her bare feet swinging under the table. Elegant as ever she shoved the spoon in her mouth, nodded and ran.

"Hey Trey, look after her okay? I trust you." He was worried about leaving her. Last time he did that her mom died.

"Don't worry Mr. S. She's my number one." We shook hands and I ruffled Taylor's hair. "Coop! Move that chicken butt! Or we play ball again." The guys in the room laughed. Kate smiled and shook her head.

I finally took full notice of her when she walked back in the room. Daisy Duke shorts (that really were short!), a grey, oversized cropped t-shirt that shown off her toned stomach... wow.