Three Months With Trey

Chapter 3.

The hangover the next day was just not worth it. My first "date" ruined twice over. I couldn't get the image of Ben and that tramp out of my mind, then Trey's pathetic apology for setting us up in the first place! I kicked him out after everyone had left. It's just after eleven am and I'm still in bed. Trey has texted me, more than once. All my friends called so many times I eventually turned my phone off. It was only when I heard a noise downstairs I leapt out of bed. I crept down the hall to Tyler's room and grabbed his baseball bat.

Slowly I made my way down the stairs, hoping to surprise my intruder. When I caught a glimpse of the intruder in the kitchen I put the bat down in defeat and sighed. "Cole, what the hell man?"

"Hey Jay Rae," He smiled using my childhood nickname. "What happened here?"

"Party." I slumped onto the couch. "Party's suck."

"Yes they do Mia." My eyes widened in surprise. "Your mom swore off parties after your dad left. Until graduation. Then she swore off them again. But Jamie, not every party ends up bad. Some rock."

"Rock? How old are you?" I smirked as he threw a pillow at me.

"Respect Jamie." He laughed and shook his head. "Get dressed. I have plans and you are now included." I groaned and pushed myself off the chair over dramatically. I quickly showered and changed into a pair of

jeans and a strapless pink top. We walked outside and there he was, sat on the hood of his car with my mom's favourite flowers. "Later Jay." Cole slapped my back and took off in his car. Great. I should have known it was all an elaborate scheme to get me to face Trey earlier than I wanted to.

"It's Sunday Coop. Let's go and see your mom." I sighed and looked down at my shoes. I kicked a stone and tried not to laugh when it bounced off Trey's knee. In the car he didn't make an effort to speak to me. He knew I was pissed. He turned on the radio and I couldn't help but grin as the DJ said our song was coming up.

"Shot through the heart, and you're to blame darlin' you give love a bad name!" We sang along to the lyrics.

At a stop sign a passing cop looked at us like we were insane. The hardest thing about being Trey's friend was that he is too easy to forgive. And I like him. A lot. When we pulled up at the cemetery, we were laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.

"I love that song." I sighed as I wiped the tears away. Trey passed me the flowers from the backseat of the car. "What are you going to do?"

"Um, I'll go and see my Gramps. I have my cell okay Coop?" I nodded and hugged him. He was wearing my favourite aftershave, Hugo Boss. I reluctantly let go and headed over to see my mom. I sat on the grass and told her all about the party, leaving out Trey setting me up. I told her how Trey was my "hero" for punching Ben. After a while I made my way over to meet Trey. I looked at the headstones on my way over. One caught my eye. Ryan Valentine.

*****

"How could you keep that from me?" I screamed down the phone to my dad. "Did you just think I would never have to know the truth? That's another person on the list!"

"Jamie calm down! We never told you because we didn't...jeez Jamie, I don't really know. Your mom would have the answer. All I can do is say how sorry I am."

"All these years dad. After Grandpa Ted passes, I waited for my chance daddy. My chance to say something to him about how he treated mom. And now I can't even have that." I whispered.

"Look, he was a jerk way before your mom got involved and if you want to shout at someone about how he treated her, shout at me okay. It was me that left her. If I hadn't left, Ryan Valentine would be a memory in a yearbook at the back of the shelf." He was right. I couldn't find it in myself to be mad anymore. "Jamie, go and enjoy your summer okay, I'll call you tonight. Taylor wants to talk to you later anyway. I love you princess."