Chapter Four

I woke up breathing hard, heart pounding, and in a cold sweat. I felt around for my alarm clock. It was raining outside. My hand felt for the familiar shape, soon after, I found the elusive alarm clock. It was 12.30pm. I tried going back to sleep but I couldn't. I groaned, and Beth stirred. I lay back, letting my mind wonder and my breathing even out.

"The dream again?" Beth asked, raising an eyebrow.

I turned my head quickly; I had no idea that she was awake.

I didn't say anything.

"You can tell me anything, you know," She said gently, trying to persuade me to talk.

"Yeah right," I grumbled.

"Look if there's something wrong..."

"Nothing is wrong!" I snapped.

Beth watched me, she seemed a little hurt. She turned over so her back faced me.

It's not her fault, I thought unhappily.

"Did you hear that?" She hissed.

"What," I asked. I couldn't hear anything besides the violent thrashing of the rain outside.

Then I heard it.

Silence and then... footsteps; almost concealed by the rain.

I got out of my bed.

"What are you doing?" Asked Beth

"What does it look like? I'm going to check out the noise," I hissed.

"I'm coming with you."

She was always following me, never leaving my side. Who could blame her? With all the stuff we've been through together these last few weeks I guess she was worried that she might lose me again.

We left the hospital wing and entered the dimly lit hall.

"I don't hear anything," I whispered.

"Be quiet!" Beth snapped.

The footsteps were coming closer, and then I saw him.

He was dressed in a black biker's jacket, black jeans, and a mask and a handgun was sheathed at his side.

"Are you Max?" Asked the mysteries man.

I knew he was speaking to me but I didn't reply.

"I will only ask once more, are you Max?" He asked calmly reaching for his hidden weapon.

"Why do you need to know?" I said quickly.

He held up the gun, aiming at my chest, I got the message. I looked at Beth; she was looking straight at the gun, her expression blank.

The masked man clicked the gun.

"Yes," I said finely.

"Better," he sneered, in a cruel smile. "Now come with me."

I started towards him with Beth, as we passed through he shoved her aside.

"Not you little girl."

"I'm going with him," Beth said defiantly.

"No you're not, my orders were clear, get the boy, leave...or kill the girl, but I don't like killing little girls, so think of this as a gift," The man said with a smirk.

I felt rage rising within me. How dare he talk to Beth like that! I didn't even care that he could overpower me. With a quick jab to the side, and then a blow to his lower ribcage, I was out of the guns range. I ran towards him at full speed, jumping through the air and back flipping with a kick into him, I sent him stumbling backwards. I bound over him, retaining my speed, and smashed my heel into him. He tried to shoot but I grabbed his arm and twisted it the gun fell out of his hand and before he could reach it I kicked it away.

"How did you?" He asked in confusion.

Before he could say any more, I had kneed him in the stomach. The dazed kidnapper lay on the floor still conscious. He regained his balance and tried to punch me, but I dogged to the left, I felt his hand go right past me inches from my body. It felt as though he couldn't hit me. I was invincible. He then proceeded to punch me again but I quickly grabbed his arm and manoeuvred around it, while jabbing at his face; blood came spurting out of his nose. I ran up the wall and jumped off it, I smashed the offender into a gurney. He bounced violently into the wall and slid down. He didn't get up.

"You make me sick," I snarled spiting at him.

Beth stood there facing the guy.

"So what do we do with him?" asked Beth.

"Leave him here and let the authorities deal with him."

"But he's right next to our room, they'll ask questions."

"They can ask all the questions they want," I said, now angry.

"What's up with you? You've so been angry lately!" Beth replied.

"It's none of your business!" I yelled getting angrier by the second. Beth noticed how frustrated I was getting, but she would not give up so easily. That's the problem with her, she never does.

"If something's bothering you than you should tell me!" She exclaimed.

"IT'S NOTHING!" I yelled. She backed off with a scared look in her eyes.

"Just shut up," I mumbled turning back to my room. I got into bed, Beth followed behind me. She just stood at the doorway looking at me trying to figure me out.

"Stop looking at me!"

She said nothing. I was about to get up, Beth moved at that, and went straight to bed with her back to me. All the while I was feeling confused and worried, wondering where my life was turning. Guilt at what I said to Beth passed through me; it wasn't her fault that our life turned crap. I just took my fear and anger at her and that doesn't solve anything.

"I'm sorry Beth," I whispered to myself.