Chapter Five

It was late in the morning by the time I got up. Beth was already dressed.

Probably going to town, I thought.

"I'm going to town for awhile do you need anything?" asked Beth.

I was right.

I didn't answer.

She walked to the door, stopped and then left. The doctor came in.

"Hello Max, how are you? Did you have a nice sleep?"

"Yes, did you see a guy in the hall?" I asked.

"No. Why?" The doctor raised an eyebrow.

So he must have regained conciseness and left.

"It's nothing; hey, can I go to town to look around today?"

"That might just do you good. Ok you can go, but don't go getting into trouble," He warned.

"Why would you say that?" I asked

"I know what you boys are like these days," He smiled winking.

I got off the bed and put my shocks and joggers on, I then put my jumper on as well since it was starting to get cold. As I got closer to the door someone bumped into me the guy looked familiar. We walked past each other without saying a word. I went down the stairs two at a time, noticing there were a lot of doctors around. I went out the door and into fresh air. The breeze was nice and welcoming I hadn't been out for a long time. I looked around looking for something to do. There was a fighting arena; the prize was five hundred dollars. I felt like fighting but then I remembered something. 'Don't pick a fight with anyone you're still recovering.' The doctor wasn't the boss of me, so I went to the arena.

What could go wrong? I thought. It's just a fight!

When I got inside there were a lot of people cheering and then someone spoke.

"Anyone else who wants to fight me come up but be warned you will get flattened like a pancake!"

I knew this was my chance so I went up to the ring. The voice that spoke was a huge guy, he had muscles that bulged on his arms and legs, he was bald and had a vain popping out of his neck, he had a very strong and assertive voice. His clothing spoke for itself, with a green singlet, and a pair of tattered shorts. No shirt, what a loser.

"So want to challenge me, a kid!" The guy laughed.

Everyone started joining in with him.

"Yeah I do so shut up and get on with it," I snapped at him.

The guy stopped laughing, making the crowd stop dead it made me feel all the more confidant that I could take this guy out.

"Ok kid let's fight and see if you can last long to see me take the prize money."

Without so much as a warning he attacked, I managed to sidestep to the left avoiding his blow. He hit the string and preserving his balance the guy threw a punch at me but I managed to duck.

"Think you're so good huh?" He sneered. "Take this!"

The brute raised both his arms and then he crashed them both into me. I couldn't escape, so I raised my arms to match his. I felt the pain flow through my arms. While this happened I pulled my leg up hitting his jaw and causing him to fall to his knees.

"You'll pay for that," The guy said spitting out blood and standing up.

This time I was ready as he ran towards me he tried to grab me but I blocked it with my right arm and kneed him in the jaw. He hesitated but then ran towards me with hatred burning in his eyes.