Chapter Ten: Paul

This was the day.

I'd been longing for this day for years.

The day I'd finally get some special loving from a special lady.

At least, that's what I'd expected.

The first part of the visit went well. Polly seemed positively ecstatic when she answered the door. She was all dolled up in that fancy dress of hers, looking a million dollars. It was difficult focusing on her face when she wore such a clingy dress. Every bit of her was outlined.

"Paul?"

I snapped out of my trance. "Uh, what?" I said stupidly.

"Did you hear what I said?" Polly asked.

"Uh... I think I - Well, I did - Um..." I stammered.

Polly giggled. "Never mind. Come with me."

"Where are we going?" I inquired as she led me down the hallway into a part of the flat I'd never seen before.

"Where do you think, silly? To my bedroom!"

My heart skipped a beat. Was Polly really suggesting that we go into her bedroom? The two of us? Alone? Together? In her bedroom? The very thought of what could happen in there dazzled me.

"Now, Polly," I said, trying to be gentlemanly, "are you sure you want to do this?"

"Of course!" Polly replied. She sounded so happy and confident.

"But we've only known each other a few weeks," I pointed out.

"Does that really matter? We have something really special, Paulie."

Polly whispered this last bit reverently, as if it was holy. My heart started to beat faster and faster, and my breathing accelerated. Could anyone hear my heart? It had to be loud enough. The whole town must have heard it. I couldn't believe this was really happening.

"Here we are," said Polly. 

She had stopped outside of the last door at the end of the very long doorway. As I'd expected, her bedroom door was artistically decorated with brightly coloured flowers and whirly patterns, every line neat and completely perfect - a bit like Polly herself! We walked into the bedroom, my heart racing at a million miles an hour. Polly's room was fairly ordinary, apart from the artwork on the walls and unfinished projects lying on the floor in messy heaps.

"Sorry about the mess," Polly said apologetically.

"Oh, it's no problem at all," I replied, still spellbound.

Polly smiled. "Now, you get settled in and I'll go and slip into something more... comfortable."

"Settled in?" I said, a question in my voice.

"Yeah, just get into any position. On the bed, on the floor, wherever."

"On the floor?" I thought, then added aloud, "Sure thing! I'll let you get ready."

"Thanks," Polly said, still smiling sweetly. "This is going to be great fun."

I didn't say anything. I just gave her a thumbs up and let her go on her way. The minute she left the room I quickly drew the curtains, then went on to prepare for the afternoon I'd been waiting for. As I undressed I began to wonder about surprising Polly when she came back in. I'd noticed some scented candles sitting on her windowsill. 

"They might help set the mood," I thought and delved into my pocket for a lighter.

Within two minutes, the room was dark, the heavenly scent of rose petals lingered in the air, and I was lying sprawled out on Polly's bed. My clothes lay discarded in a heap on the carpet. I'd left my tie on and hoped it made me look a little sexier and exciting, like I meant business.