Chapter Sixteen: Ringo

It was Christmas Day and the flat was all abuzz with happiness and merriment. I had expected the lads and I to spend the festive season together, just the four of us. (Five, counting little Serenity.) But, as usual, nothing went according to plan. I couldn't believe the number of people who were squashed up in our flat by lunchtime - nine in total!

There was a lot of noise and laughing and bouncing around, as if the linoleum floors had suddenly morphed into a huge trampoline. Even Serenity was crowing like a little bird, enjoying the festivities. George didn't mind me holding her because he was dancing the entire time. He was whirling around like a small hurricane, his new lady friend (Shae, I think her name was) laughing and twirling with him.

John and Paul did their fair share of dancing, then cleared the floor to spend some time with their new lady friends. There was so much kissing between the four of them! John had Esbeidy sitting cross-legged on his lap, whereas Paul was clutching Julianna close to his chest. They all looked so happy together, laughing and kissing and having a good time in general.

I was all by myself, left looking after the baby while everyone else was jumping around to The Kinks' You Really Got Me.

It was extremely depressing but I was determined not to show it. I didn't want to be accused of being a party pooper by slumping in a corner and sulking. It wouldn't be fair on everyone else. I still couldn't help wishing someone would offer to dance with me. I had Serenity but she was still only a baby, barely at the crawling stage. George came over to me eventually.

"Hey Ringo," he said, raising his voice above the music.

"Hi," I replied.

"I came to get Serenity. Shae wants to hold her."

"Sure. Here."

"What's wrong?" George asked, taking Serenity from me. "You look glum."

"I am glum," I said. "I don't have anyone to dance with."

George nodded as if he understood, then he looked at me kindly. "Would you like to dance with Shae for a bit?"

"No thank you," I said. "She's your girl. I don't want to take her from you."

George smiled. "Thank, buddy. You're a true friend. If I'd offered John a dance with Shae, he'd jump at the chance and start making out with her."

"Oh," I said, glancing over at the crowded couch. "Like he's doing right now?"

"WHAT?" George cried, whipping around and racing over to sort out the situation. He began yelling at John and asking what the bloody hell he was doing. John didn't answer, completely deaf to George's fury.

I chuckled, but then went back to feeling glum. Now that George had taken Serenity from me, I didn't even have her to talk to or play with. I considered sloping off to my room and spending some time alone with my record collection, then there was a loud knock on the door.

"Oh God!" John cried, suddenly detaching his lips from Esbeidy's. (He'd finally given in and let Shae go back to George.) 

"Who is it, Johnny?" Paul asked, his arm draped around Julianna's shoulders.

"I ordered a pizza," said John. "That's probably it."

"For God's sake, John, you can't order pizza on Christmas!"

John sneered. "Who are you, Paulie? The Food Police?"

"Whatever," said Paul, rolling his eyes. "Go and pay for it, then."

"Ah. Right." John got up and felt around in his jeans' pockets, his coat pockets, in and out the couch cushions. A look of utter amazement appeared on his face. "Oh no. I can't find my wallet."