Dinner With A Vampire. Did I Mention I'm Vegetarian? (5)

Dinner With A Vampire. Did I Mention I'm Vegetarian? (Chapter 5)

It really is quite a peculiar feeling being swept up into a vampire's arms.

"What the hell are you doing?" I screamed, as Kaspar carried me bridal style, racing through the trees.

"Getting myself out of this shit!" He yelled back.

"Oh well, do you think you could get yourself out of this shit without carrying me?" I said, trying to be polite. I didn't get a reply.

"I'll take that as a no." Still no reply.

We raced across the lawns. I was getting way too used to this. Kaspar let me down on the steps, grabbed my wrist, and hauled me through the huge double doors.

"This is Lyla, my sister," he murmured, gesturing to an unbelievably pretty girl stood just inside the doors. She smiled. Her features were elfin like, and she shared the same stunning eyes as her brothers. She had short, cropped, pinkie-purple hair. It flicked out, and there were long wispy bits falling to her shoulders. She was quite tall, but petite at the same time.

Without any explanation, I was handed over to her. She took my hand and pulled me up the stairs. She seemed to be anxious to get away, tugging at my arm impatiently. As we reached the top, I looked back down. All six boys were looking up at us, looking... scared? Suddenly they all turned, standing up straight. I followed their gaze. Stood outside the large door was a man. A scary looking man. His face was etched with scars, although it did not ruin his handsome, youthful looks. He had steely grey hair, and a little stubble grew on his perfectly sculpted chin. He was tall, but stockily built. He had empty grey, heartless eyes that showed no emotion. He wore a black suit and an equally dark look on his face. There was absolutely no doubt about it. He was a vampire.

Lyla suddenly stood up straight, and said; "Father." Kaspar and Cain did the same, and I could see the fear of this man in their eyes. This man that was their father.

Father?

At almost the same time, Fabian and the other guys bowed, and said; "Your Majesty."

Your Majesty?

But that must mean, he was the king? But that would make Kaspar and Cain princes, and Lyla a princess!

So they were royalty?!

I looked down to the scene below. I met Kaspar's eyes, and for a second, a brief, brief moment, I thought I saw something there. Pity? Remorse? But then his face clouded over, and his eyes became the same cold, callous pits as his father's. And once more I was dragged away from a scene I never wanted to see.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"This is your room," Lyla said, smiling. Hmmm, pretty nice. It was quite large, with a deep purple carpet. The mahogany four-poster bed was set at an angle, with large purple drapes falling to the floor. French doors led out onto a small balcony. Purple and white voiles covered the doors. Beside it were several gothic windows. But the most impressive part of the room was the black baby grand piano in the corner.

"I figured purple was your colour, so..." Lyla trailed off in her enchanting voice. She pointed towards a door. "That's the wardrobe over there. We'll get your stuff over here in a couple of days, but 'till then, you can have some of my clothes. Oh, and bathroom is just down the corridor. Kaspar wouldn't let you have an en-suite, thought you were going to start cutting or something." She smiled, again. I smiled back gratefully. I really needed to get out of this dress. Out of the blue, my stomach gave an involuntary growl.

"Oh my gosh, sorry, you must be starving! We're kinda not used to having humans around," she said apologetically. "I'll get something brought up for you. Not fussy are you?" She asked.

I shook my head. "As long as its not blood." I laughed nervously.

" 'Course not. Oh, and your vegetarian right?" she replied. I nodded. How did she know I was vegetarian? I was about to ask, but when I looked towards the door, she had already gone.

I walked over to the French doors. I tried the handle, fiddling about for a minute. No surprise, it was locked. Guess they weren't taking any chances. I leaned my head against the cool glass. I felt the huge barricades I had thrown up around myself beginning to crumble. I knew I could not be strong much longer. It was too much. Far too much.

Stuff like this is not meant to happen.

Slowly, very slowly, I felt my eyes begin to sting as tears pricked them.

Never again would I see anyone I loved.

Never again would I be free.

Never again could I take a breath of air knowing I was not a prisoner.

Never again would my life be, well, normal.

There was a brief knock on the door. I walked over, and opened the door. Sat on the floor was a tray, a bowl of cereal and a glass of juice balanced on top. Well, I guess vampires did not know how to make a fry-up.

I picked up the tray and went to sit on the bed. Halfway there I noticed a piece of paper tucked under the glass. I put the tray to one side, and unfolded the note. It was written in fancy, and almost illegible script. It read:

Violet,

You are free to roam the house whenever you please, but do not go into the grounds. It will not be good if you do. Also, avoid my father at all costs, but if you do come across him, curtsey and say, "Your Majesty." Please, please put your pride aside and do this. If you do need anything, ask one of the staff where my room is, and I will do what I can. Good luck,

HRH Lyla

AND VIOLET, IF ANYONE OF US IS HUNGRY, GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE! FAST.

Do you know that feeling, when it feels like the whole world has just fallen upon your shoulders, and everything is too much to bare? When there is no hope left, you have given up, and you know your life won't... can't ever be the same again? When you pretend that everything is okay, but as soon as you are alone, you scream, you cry, you want to die. That feeling you get when you lose someone or something you love? When you grieve for a death. When you grieve for lost love. When you grieve for what will never be again.

When you are so scared, because you do not know what is going to happen?

Well, I felt like that.

I dived back, burying my head in my pillow, and silently screamed into the cloth. Tears stung my eyes, but they did not fall. I never cried. And I would not now.

I heard a gentle tapping on the window and looked up. Falling against the glass were great sheets of rain. They sliced through the air, and great grey clouds rolled overhead, casting the estate into shadow. The bleak landscape looked far more hostile than usual, or maybe it was the fact that I now knew what stalked those dark forests.

As I looked, the sky suddenly lit up. For a moment, everything turned an electric blue, to match the lightning now dazzling the stormy sky. I walked towards the window, mesmerized.

A thunderstorm. How apt. Trapped inside a vampires mansion, surrounded by ancient forests, with no hope of escape, whilst looking through a gothic window upon the miserable, frightening weather. How cliché.

I curled up on the windowsill, and sure enough, listened as the first thunder rumbled through the sky. The windows shook, the floor moved. I leant my head against the cool window once more. A storm. Truly an architect of anarchy.

No. I would not cry for a bunch of messed up vampires. Never.