Chapter 1 - Moans

Dinner came and went, and I was still in the main room. People were crowding around Luke, wondering why he was in here. He told them he hadn't killed anyone, ever. He has never wanted to kill anybody.

I believed him, I guess. Maybe he had an attitude just because he was falsely put in here? When the crowd around him started to die down, I walked over and sat beside him.

"Hi," he said quietly.

"I hate the swarm when there's a new person.."

"How long have you been here?"

"A year.. and a half."

"How are you able to keep track that long?"

"They have calendars out here.." I pointed to some.

"Oh yeah," he looked down once more.

"If you didn't commit the crimes they said you did, why are you in here?"

"Like I said earlier, my best friend was one of them, and we had a fight before he left. They suspect it's me."

"Sorry.. I forgot."

"It's fine," he huffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I don't think you'll have a very good time here with that attitude. You won't make very many friends," I told him.

"Sorry. Am I supposed to make friends?"

"Well, I mean.. It will make it nicer here for you. And plus, I'm the only one your age."

"Yeah, what about it?"

"We could be friends," I smiled.

"I wish they would've given me the death sentence. I don't want to spend the rest of my life in here for something I didn't do."

"If we get enough evidence that it was someone else, you can get out of here."

"How are we going to do that? We're trapped in here!"

"I'm just trying to look on the bright side, unlike you."

"Do you like me or something?" He randomly asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Do you, like, like me?"

"Why would you think that?"

"You're being really nice to me and trying to help me."

"I'm just being nice," I assured him, even though he was pretty cute.

"Now, now, Annamarie. We don't want any babies in the asylum," Sister Jude randomly told me, walking by.

"What is she talking about?" Luke wondered.

"After I came in here, I soon got pregnant with one of my inmates. It wasn't my choice, by the way, if you know hat I mean... I had a miscarriage, though, at around ten weeks."

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that," he was being nice now? Woah.

"Well Sister Jude wanted me to get an abortion anyways. I wasn't going to, though. I could never do that. But then the miscarriage happened and yeah," I looked down at my fingers.

"It's okay," Luke wrapped his right arm around me, "I'm really sorry."

"Thank you. I'm okay, though. That was a little over a year ago."

"Oh okay," Luke looked away from me, at the other people in the room. Things started to get a little different between us then.

"You... you still have your arm around me," I told him.

"Oh.. s-sorry," he apologized, taking it out from behind me.

"It's fine," I half-smiled at him. He smiled back.

------

Later that night, we had all been put in our cells. I had fallen asleep, but woke up in the middle of the night. I suddenly heard my name from Luke's cell.

"Yeah?" I ask quietly, but I hear him say my name again. It didn't sound like he was calling for me, though. I soon heard a moan. Oh.

I got up from my bed and looked through my small window on the door. I heard many more small moans, then my name once again.

I just looked into the pitch black hallway. I couldn't see anything, and maybe that was a good thing to what I was hearing.

"Luke.." I whispered, probably not loud enough that he could hear me.

"Oh, Annamarie," I heard from his cell. This was awkward, yet sort of.. nice? Was he dreaming about me or... yeah.

I heard many muffled moans, all from Luke. I have to admit, I did sort of like it. The moans became closer and closer together.. Why was I listening in on this? Well he is moaning my name, I reminded myself.

I heard him moan one last time, a really loud moan if I may add. I could hear him mumbling my name.. I called into the hallway, "Luke!"

I heard shuffling of the sheets and soon, I could slightly see Luke's face and his bare shoulders. He looked terrified..