Chapter 5 - Australia

We arrived in Australia a little more than a day later. The people at the airport didn't question us. They probably didn't care if we escaped from the asylum, even if they did know. Once we were in Australia, we didn't have to wear the wigs. Nobody knew us. We were starting off fresh. I didn't even use my fake ID, and neither did Luke. That was only for emergencies.

I had done one more sneaky thing before leaving Massachusetts, however. I put in a report to the police department about Briarcliff Manor. I told them that they were brutally hurting many of the patients and giving some drugs. Both of them were true. They gave some patients drugs to get them to "do better", which was what they wanted from the patients. They had terrible theories though. After I had filed the report, we had left. Briarcliff would be shutting down soon, hopefully.

"Babe.." Luke walked over to me in the kitchen of our nice apartment that we had bought.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Why did you want to move to Australia?"

"So we wouldn't get caught by Sister Jude or anyone while living in Massachusetts.." I told him, "we couldn't risk going back there and getting even worse punishment."

"Yeah. But didn't you say you were going to get it shut down?"

"Yeah. If people are insane, they can go to prison. They'd treat them better there," I scoffed.

"How did you survive a year and a half in that hell?" He asked, wrapping his arms around me.

"I have no idea," I looked down.

"So.. now that we're living together.. Are we a couple?" Luke looked down at me, still having his arms wrapped around me.

"I guess," I smiled.

He let go of me, and I got on my phone to search "Briarcliff Manor". When I looked it up, I saw a new news story that was on just a few hours ago. I plugged my phone into the tv so we could watch it on there.

"Luke, come here," I told him. I started the news story.

"Briarcliff Manor has been up and running for over 60 years now. We have recently found out information from an anonymous source. We are going in to observe what really goes on in Briarcliff Manor, the insane asylum," the new reporter stopped while it showed footage of Sister Jude whipping people, giving them drugs, feeding them sickening food, and making them do certain things. This made the asylum look really bad. I was glad.

"The government is working on shutting Briarcliff Manor down. After what we have seen, we will not allow this to go on. Whoever is currently in the asylum will be let free, for they do not deserve a prison sentence after what they've been through already," the news reporter announced and we both cheered. I was glad my friends were getting out of there too.

"Many of the prisoners in the asylum have been talked to by our newscasters. Many of them seem frightened and shaky or physically sick. We believe that it is best to let these people out. Sister Jude told us that, recently, two prisoners decided to lock themselves in their rooms. She told us they have most likely died. There is a horrid stench coming from their cells. We are going to knock down the doors to see what is going on."

I looked at Luke. He looked worried, but confused about the stench. I laughed, and he stared at me like I was crazy.

"What did you do?" He asked and paused the news.

"I put ashes on our beds with our blood in it so if they did a DNA test, yours would come out as you, and mine would come out as me. Also, I placed stink bombs in our rooms and set them for two days. I can't believe it's been that long already. It doesn't seem like long, but it is for me after being in there for a year and a half," I played with my fingers.