Chapter Sixteen - Beach Dinner

~Chapter Sixteen - Beach Dinner~ 

      “Cole, can you at least try to focus?” I asked wearily, looking back down at my English materials and pinching the bridge of my nose to stem the throbbing headache that always accompanied tutoring Cole.

         “I will focus the minute you start actually teaching me something notable,” he retorted, not looking up from where he was throwing around a neon green tennis ball.

         “I am!” I cried. God, he made me want to tear my hair out! “This is one of the most important things you need to learn in English.”

         He looked at me doubtfully. “I don’t see it.”

         I looked up at the clock. “Okay. I think we’re done for the day,” I told him. I swear if I got into one more argument with him, I was not liable for what I would do next.

         “But you didn’t teach me anything!” he objected.

         “And whose fault is that?” I snapped.

         He had the good grace to look sheepish, and said, “Alright, fine. Maybe I wasn’t at my best today—"

         “Just today?” I cut in, pinning him with a glare.

         He ignored me. “—But I actually had something I wanted to ask you.”

         “What?” I asked worriedly, bad scenarios running through my head.

         “Would you like to go out to dinner with me tonight?”

         My jaw dropped, and I stared at him, astounded. “Wait, what?!”

         “As a way of saying thank you for putting up with everything I put you through and not running out on me when my other tutors did—”

         “Gosh, I wonder why,” I cut in sarcastically, not being able to resist the tempting comeback.

         He paused briefly to give me a glare, before continuing. “And as a way of paying you back, since you won’t take any money. Dinner’s on me. It’ll be two friends going out and eating. I can make reservations within the hour.”

         I got the feeling that there was something else I was meant to be doing, but I was too astounded to think clearly. Plus, the idea of going out to dinner with Cole did sound very appetizing. Get the pun there? Okay, okay, I’ll stop.

         “I… I mean, I guess,” I said, waiting for cameras to jump out and for him to say, Haha, just kidding. I wouldn’t go out with you in a million years. But nobody entered my living room, and Cole was still looking at me earnestly. “Yeah, I’ll go out with you.”