Chapter Twenty - Revelations & Misunderstandings

~Chapter Twenty - Revelations & Misunderstandings~

Before you ask, yes, I'm aware that not only was I proving Matt right, but I was also breaking several laws.

Breaking into Cole's house was one thing, but breaking into a school? Yep, I’m pretty sure that'd land me in the slammer.

But, hey, I was taking the risk, so it was all on me. I would only have myself - well, and Amber - to blame for whatever happened to me.

Not that I really planned on getting caught, that is.

Now, I feel the need to clarify that, no, breaking into your school is not a good thing to do. I do not endorse it, nor do I find it beneficial or entertaining. There is nothing humorous or comical about jumping into alcoves every five seconds and flinching in fear at every little sound.

But, seriously, don't do it. You could go to jail.

I made my way down the quiet halls, ducking into the occasional gap when a few teachers came past. My heart was beating wildly in my ribcage.

I could go to jail for this. I wasn't planning to, though.

Luckily for me, I knew exactly where they kept results for tests, so I quickly made my way down to the 'File Room.'

It was deserted and silent, and I quickly scuffled over to this year's section and pulled out the first box, which held the last names starting with 'A'.

Cole's was one of the first in there, right after Karla Abel and Faith Abercrombie. I pulled out his file and pulled out all the necessary documents.

Now, I know what you're thinking. Wasn't I going a little overboard? Breaking into a school just to get some English test results? My answer to that understandable question is this: My head is just such a jumbled up mess of emotions and feelings I was liable to have a breakdown any minute now. So I desperately needed some answers.

You're also probably wondering this: What kind of friend is Amber to encourage me to break into a school? Well, she actually offered to do this for me, so that if one of us were to be caught, she would be able to take the blame. But I insisted that it was up to me, not her, to do this.

Which was how I ended up here, standing by an ancient, dusty photocopier as test result after test result was copied so that I wouldn't have to steal any of the test results. I had no problems breaking into my high school, but stealing some dusty old pieces of paper that would probably never see the light of day ever again? I refuse.

I was shaking like a leaf while my stuff copied over. I was convinced the photocopier was too loud and was taking too long.

But, as luck would have it, no-one ventured down into the dark abyss of the File Room. Which was probably better for their health anyway. I had probably swallowed enough dust to fill up three vacuum bags as it were.

When it was finished, I shut off the photocopier and replaced the old papers back into the box, folding the crisp new ones and popping them in my pocket.

Then I cautiously made my way to the top of the stairs.

I slipped into the corridor, and was about twenty feet away from the exit when a voice stopped me. "Miss Holland."

My blood ran cold and I slowly turned around to see Miss Cartwright, a strict, twenty-something biology teacher who was probably the meanest lady Alderidge High had ever had wander the halls.

"Yes, Miss Cartwright?" I asked politely, blinking innocently at her.

"What are you doing here after school?" she asked, scowling at me.