Forty-Six

Chapter Forty-Six

☠ Chapter Forty-Six ☠

ARIELLE'S POV

"I know you like it, Babygirl."

He smirks when he feels my pulse racing wildly against his fingertip.

And then he leaves my room without another word, leaving me with weak knees.

Holy shit.

I stand in the middle of my bedroom as Zayn closes the door behind himself, completely and utterly flustered. What the hell just happened? He just called me his old pet-name for me, and it immediately has me wondering if he does, in fact, remember me. But then again, these small doubts rise to the surface and I'm suddenly wondering if he calls every girl the pet-name. What if I was never special in that way, which I always thought I was?

I ignore it, pushing the negative thoughts as far as I can, into the furthest, darkest shelves within my brain. Fuck Kit, she isn't here today, and with the way Zayn just flirted with me, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't say anything if I end up reciprocating.

I pick up my panties from where they hit the floor after Zayn shot them at me. I finish drying my body and quickly put my clothes on. Before I leave my bedroom, I run a little bit of product through my hair to tame the waves that will appear as my hair dries.

I take a moment to regain some sort of composure before I turn the door handle and step back out. I immediately spot Zayn from the hallway. He's standing in the living room, enveloped in laughter with Nyjah, holding a beer in his left hand. The second I step out, his eyes find me and he slowly blinks while staring at me and curling his lips into a small smirk. His eyes rake up and down my body, taking in the sight of my body in my little shorts and tank top.

I watch Nyjah—curious as to what Zayn's staring so intently at—lean over to find me standing in the hallway. When Nyjah realizes that it's me that Zayn's focused on, he tears his gaze away quickly, scratching awkwardly at the back of his neck.  

I'm forced to break eye contact with Zayn when Zoe suddenly steps towards me and quickly hugs me tightly. It nearly scares the living shit out of me, and I end up exhaling heavily over her shoulder. "I haven't seen you in forever! I missed you!"

"Yeah, no kidding." I reply. It's true, it feels like I haven't seen her in forever, but there's been so much shit going on that we've only really had the time to talk over the phone, and not in person. She knows all about Zayn's memory loss, and she knows not to interfere, or bring me up around him, but she doesn't exactly know why. I don't trust that she won't interfere—because she's infamous for sticking her nose where it doesn't belong—but I hope and pray that she doesn't. "I missed you too. How's school been?"

"Same old," she comments and I know exactly what that means. That means she's still skipping classes, which means that she's probably still scraping by, barely passing each course. "How's the internship been since we last talked?"