Ten

Chapter Ten

➳ ARIELLE'S POV

ARIELLE'S POV

Two days.

It's been two days since I've heard from Zayn. I've spent that time frantically wondering what happened to him. Is he safe? Has he been charged with something? Has he been released? What if he's been locked up in a jail cell for the past two days? Why hasn't he contacted me?

I stare down at my fingernails—some of which are stained lightly with blood from me biting nervously at them. I pull my cell phone out of my pocket and type a message to Zoe telling her I need to see her in the dorm.

I press send and gather my things together, quietly making my way out of the back of the classroom, trying my best not to bring any attention to myself. I carefully open and close the door, making a sprint to my room.

When I open the door, Zoe's already sitting on the bed, diving into a magazine, "Did you even go to class today?" I ask the second I step into the room, noticing the mountain of snacks beside her that signifies she likely stayed home all day.

She shrugs her shoulders nonchalantly, "Needed a me day." I shake my head, curious how she's even passing her courses when so many of them require attendance. "So what'd you so desperately need? Oh, did you hear from Zayn yet?"

"No, that's why I need to talk to you." I reply, sighing.

She sits up on the bed and throws the magazine down onto the floor, right on the pile of other magazine's she's already read. Zoe tilts her head, almost as if she's a dog, confused.

"I need Nyjah to take me to Zayn's house." As I'm talking, I'm desperately reaching for Zoe's phone, which is resting on her nightstand. I need to text Nyjah and see if he'll help me out because I'm really worried about Zayn after seeing him getting arrested.

Zoe quickly stands and rips the phone out of my hands, "Here, I'll just call him." I eye her for a moment, curious as to what she's hiding on her phone. Dirty texts maybe? "It's just easier," she says with a shrug of her shoulders. Mhm.

Zoe throws a piece of hair over her shoulder, types in a few numbers and puts the phone to the side of her head. Her volume is loud enough that I can hear the rings as they echo in her ear. After two, Nyjah picks up. "Hello, Love," I hear his muffled voice greet her.

Zoe giggles, "Hi, I uh—Ari needs a favour. I'm going to pass you to her." She hands me the phone and I place it up to my ear.

"Hi, Nyjah," I say, my voice coming out in a high pitch due to my anxiety.

"Hello, how are you?"

"Good. Listen, I need a favour." I say, totally impatient, likely out of line. I barely know Nyjah—I barely know Zayn, for that matter—and yet, I'm asking him for a favour that might make Zayn uncomfortable.