Chapter 3

If I didn't struggle to read his actions I would have seen it coming. The self assured way he stalked up to me should have been hint enough. Before I could register the problem he snatched me close, lifting me physically from the ground.

I didn't scare often. My counterbalance tended toward the logical side of events. But there was nothing logical about being captured and restrained by a new found enemy. My heart thrashed out a rhythm of surprise and on first instinct I pulled back wildly. At the same time my left hand flew to my satchel, desperate for some course of action. My mind froze, I didn't even remember the blade at my waist until I smashed against him and the hilt jabbed my hip. Fortunately for me the blade did not pierce my skin.

I sucked in a deep breath. I had deeply miscalculated. So deeply. I needed the help of the pack, before he did...whatever it was he was going to do.

My muscles clenched, my body naturally trying to revert to wolf. It was the best form of defense. I couldn't scream as a wolf though, and as the idea formed in my head I opened my mouth.

A big warm hand clasped against the side of my head, drawing my hear against his hard chest. The beat of a heart thundered.

"Sleep," he commanded.

Without my permission my systems started to shut down. Beginning with my balance and ending with conscious thought.

Huh. Dragons can perform minor hypnosis...fascinating.

***

When I woke it was warm, and dark. I registered first the long strain of discomfort along my back, and I had to pee. I blinked and tried to straighten myself.

"Thank the Six," a voice above me said. And then the world rocked and I was tilted upright on my own. I wobbled there for a moment trying to blink cobwebs from my mind. There was something I should remember.

"Ha!" I yelled when it finally hit me, leaping sideways and away from my captor. "You have stolen me!"

He stood where he had set me down, not making any move toward me, just watching me warily. "Quiet woman, we are in the forest, and I have no indication if the Quatori are near. I am glad you awoke."

"Where are you taking me? I demand you let me go."

"We are about an hour into the forest...you are more susceptible to the command than I guessed." He walked away from me, picking up something from the ground. My satchel. He brought it toward me, holding it out, offering it.

I snatched it from him before he neared too close and frantically opened the lid, searching through the contents. Nothing was broken from what I could tell.

And what a disaster that could have been. I pulled out the smooth cool metal contraption as soon as my fingers brushed it. There was not enough light to check its most delicate parts, but I ran my fingers over the tube like structure ensuring no damage had been done. Blasted Dragon Lord had no idea the risks he took.

"Take me back," I demanded again.

He shook his head, loose strands of hair dangled about his shoulders with the motion. He hadn't replaced his shirt since the healing tent. I shivered a little, looking at him. From the cold, nothing else. Darkness had brought a light misting, coupled with the breeze that rustled the forest above and the air was too cool for my skin.

Perhaps, however, Dragon Lords and their high body temperatures were immune.

"No," the Lord answered. "That would do neither of us any good. You wanted help finding your missing pack mates, then I demand help warning my people."