Chapter 29

I placed the phial I held back within my satchel creating a firm clank. Tears of frustration and exhaustion welled up in my eyes and I wiped at them angrily. No matter what I did for Adda I could not get her to wake.

I sat back on my heels, unsure what to do now. I had little else that I even knew to try. I wasn't even supposed to be awake. Cillumn stood outside of the door, keeping watch so that I could sleep, but after a short time I awoke plagued with worries for my sister. I frowned at my satchel. Nothing at all was working though, and it was scaring me a little.

The cabin was dark save for the fire that flickered weakly in the hearth, heating the room and chasing away the night's drafts. In the darkness she nearly looked dead, only a hand on her chest to feel her breathing assured me otherwise.

I studied the door for a moment. It had been crafted out of a roughly worked single plank, but it appeared that might have been a hundred years ago. Real hinges, one of the only modern and metal pieces to the construction of the cabin sagged with the rotted wood of the frame.

Cillumn waited out there, maybe I should go and take watch. At least one of us should be resting. I hesitated to leave Adda's side. Being useless to her after all I had went through to retrieve her left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I stood anyway and made my way outside. I had managed to find a torn old piece of material tucked between two of the logs near the hearth. It was stained with moss growth and dirt, but it was big enough to wrap around my breasts and hang down to cover my rear.

"Finished sleeping already?" Cillumn murmured. The night was actually brighter than the cabin interior and it took a moment for my eyes to adjust. Once they did it took my mind some time to adjust.

Cillumn stood, leaning against the cabin exterior. Smooth silvery light cast down from a partial moon and the bright points of the stars surrounding it and landed on his male perfection. His chest bulged where he crossed his arms, and even in the relaxed stance he had taken each muscle along his side stood out from the other. His legs were just as impressive, as was, if I were to admit it to myself, what hung heavily between them. His member twitched a little, alerting me to the fact that I was staring.

It struck me how physically dangerous this Lord could be. Yet not once had he forced himself upon me. It stood to reason then, not everything I had learned from the pack relating to the Lords was true. In fact, from my recent experiences nearly nothing the pack taught about the Lords was true.

Oblivious to my internal revelations Cillumn pushed off of the wall and strode toward me, his body had tightened, but there was nothing but concern upon his face.

"You need to sleep Lis," he reached for me and gathered me to him. Oddly it felt incredibly right, so right that I couldn't allow myself to pull away. I found my face pressed against those firm muscles I had just been admiring while his strong fingers massaged the back of my head and neck.

"You need to sleep too," my words slurred, the pleasure of his fingers doing funny things to my speech.

"I have been meditating, it has helped me to recover somewhat. I believe I can remain on guard until Scet arrives." He pulled me away slightly so that he could look down at me. "You, however, need true sleep. What are you doing out here?"

"I awoke and couldn't get back to sleep."

"Still no progress with your sister?"

I shook my head, happy that he guessed my worries and I didn't have to explain my failure out loud.

"It is not your fault Lis, whatever Grim was doing to them, that is what drove her unconscious."

His words were true, I knew that they were, but I hated the feeling of inadequacy.