Chapter 21

I stood at the edge of the pool for several long moments, wrapped in a towel that covered my shoulders and then draped down to my calves, debating where I might actually go to find safety.

My clothes were nothing but a ruined pile, I stepped around them and gathered my satchel, glancing up as though even that small movement would draw doom down upon me from above. Nothing happened though, and silence had swallowed the night once more. Wherever Cillumn and Firestriker had gone they weren't apparent from the bath house, nor was there any sound of battle to reach my ears. The water behind me lapped against the edge, a soothing sound of beauty, mocking the seriousness of my situation. I debated going back to the workshop, there were guards there at least, but the last attack had proven the medical wing unsafe. Also there was the revelation that the guards had been talking about...entertaining me. Yet I knew very little of the aerie so far. The Archon's audience chamber would be even less suitable.

I backed into the maze of walls that formed the western side of the bathing complex. Small rooms that provided a privacy of sorts. To change I supposed, though it seemed a little silly given that the pool was open and one would have to reveal their nakedness eventually. This too was an area created with white stone. Simple benches formed around the walls of the small spaces and more towels were piled neatly within. Maybe I could just stay there, it was as safe as any other place within the aerie.

I frowned. Since when had I been content to remain where it was safe? Besides, I had concocted a poison for this very reason. Even if the battle was taking place against a possessed dragon instead of the Shifter creatures I had planned for, the Amber Aerie Lords could surely use my creation.

"There you are," the curt feminine voice rang out, echo of the bath house walls giving it strength and definition. My fingers twitched on the straps of my satchel. It would be awkward to defend myself in such a space, perhaps this wasn't a safe place after all.

A tiny movement of the air carried a familiar scent to my nose. I hadn't heard anyone approach, which was alarming. I was either losing the sharpness of my senses to exhaustion, or Illaise was a far more dangerous Shifter than I had encountered before.

I turned to find her at the entrance to the small change room. It was too dark to see, but I sensed another Shifter, one of her warriors, at her back.

"It took far too long to track you here, are you prepared? We leave immediately."

My lips pulled tight. "What do you mean we leave immediately, aren't we to wait until the Lords can join us?"

Illaise snorted. "If you would like to procrastinate until the situation is beyond repair then feel free to wait around. But I will take the weapons you promised me. That encampment will not survive the next day," Illaise sounded fierce, and certain of her position. Part of me was drawn to that kind of leadership. The confidence it was easy to fall in line with, to allow another to make the decisions and take the responsibility for them.

But that wasn't me, and already I balked at her plan instead of falling in line.

"Shifter, you will deliver on your agreement," she growled, sensing my hesitation. "I could have been far from here by now, attacking the encampment while this Master invades this aerie, but I waited upon your promise. I will not allow a betrayal at this juncture."

"And your leaving without the Lords, or their knowledge? Is that not a betrayal?" I demanded.

"I owe nothing to the Dragons, you cannot betray what you have never sworn fealty to."

"Not even your own son?"

That stopped her. I immediately regretted my words. What business was it of mine, her relationship with Firestriker? Besides, my own words sounded like a challenge, even to my own ears, and I would never best Illaise. Outsmart her maybe, but to face her in battle would be suicide.