Six

"So who was that guy?" Liam asks once we leave the plaza.

"Some guy that is fascinated with our little Gemma. She met him yesterday." Lila says without looking up from her phone. She has been texting and giggling and texting and giggling all day.

"We don't know his name, he's just some guy." Mae says. She looks sadly at Liam as he squints his eyes and grabs my elbow.

"Some strange guy is stalking you and you don't tell me? Or at least even bring it up in conversation that you met someone?" He scolds.

William Carter Wills and I have been best friends since kindergarten when I spilled my milk and he gave me his. We did everything together. He taught me how to ride a bike, with Lila cheering from the sidewalk. And then in second grade Mae moved to Oakwood, and cried in the bathroom her first day. I sat with her the whole time. I introduced her to Liam and Lila, and the four of us have been inseparable ever since. The moment Mae saw Liam I knew she was in love with him, and as we got older she only fell deeper for him, but Liam was and still is so oblivious to her feelings towards him. I know it hurts her when he shows concern for me, or touches me and I try not to make it worse for her, but right now there is nothing I can do.

I gently move Liam's hand off of my arm, seeing Mae relax beside him, and sigh as I look up at him. "It's not a big deal Lima Bean."

"Gemma, the creep followed you to the bowling alley."

"He works there!" I exclaim. "You don't even know him, you just got here. You don't get to make judgments like that about him."

"Do you like him?" He shouts at me.

Lila's head snaps up and she slides over to us. "Interesting." She whispers.

"I barely know him! Of course I don't like him." I choke out, I feel my face turning red but if anyone brings it up, I am blaming the cold.

"Good, because I don't want you to see him again." Liam crosses his arms and walks away.

"Excuse me!?" I shout. I run to catch up to him. "You aren't my father, you don't get to tell me who I can and can't see."

"Well your father isn't here anymore so someone has to. And I know that he would say the exact same thing!" He points in my face. "You know I'm right Gemma."

"What is happening right now?" I cry out. "Why are you acting like this?"

"Why haven't you two been looking out for her?" Liam asks. He looks specifically at Mae. "You must see that there's something off about this guy, why haven't you said anything?"

"She's a big girl Will." Mae says quietly. "We don't need to coddle her."

"Do I get a say in this at all?" I look between the two of them, waiting for one of them to answer. Neither of them say anything. "I understand that you guys care about me, but I can make my own decisions. If I want to see Him again, I sure as hell am going to see Him again."

"Good for you Gem." Lila raises her hand for me to hit, but her phone dings and she instantly lowers her hand to her phone.

Liam and Mae stand there silent staring at me, unsure of what to say. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go get some pizza. Would my friends like to join me?"

"I actually have to go." Lila says with a grin.

"Where are you going?" I ask her. I plead with her not to leave me alone with them, but she does not see my eyes.

"I have plans." She says vaguely. Her phone dings and she looks at it briefly. "I really got to go. Catch ya later!" She calls over her shoulder.

"Great." I mumble. "Family dinner?"

"You don't have to be so sarcastic Gem." Mae rolls her eyes.

"Lets go." Liam announces. "I'm starving."

It starts to rain softly as we walk down the street. By the time we reach the pizzeria it is pouring. We run inside to escape the cold drops, a man runs behind us and pushes me forward into the building when I do not move fast enough for him. We get inside, I shake the rain droplets off my jacket and look behind me to the man that rudely lifted me into the building. "Excuse you-" I start.

I turn around face to face with Emmett Fursey with Professor Decker Fursey behind him. "Gemma." He says shocked. "I didn't realize that was you. I'm glad it was and not some stranger."

He chuckles. "You're lucky it was you or else I would be tearing you to shreds right now." I threaten. He only laughs harder.

"Gemma." Professor Decker nods.

"Professor Decker Fursey, how are you?" I bite my tongue, I did not mean to say all three names, one would have been sufficient enough. He smiles at the use of all three names.

"I am well. Hungry, but well."

"Professor Fursey." Mae says from behind me. She reaches to shake his hand with a sweet smile. Of course Mae would be the normal polite one.

"Ms. Vasili." He shakes her hand and returns her smile. "And you must be Mr. Wills." He extends his hand to Liam and shakes it. "I've heard much about you."

"Nice to meet you." Liam smiles back at him.

"Next." The hostess calls out.

"Well we better go." Liam grabs Mae's hand and pulls her away. "It was nice meeting you. Gem."

"I better go before he drags me away." I nod to Liam and his irritated face. "Maybe I'll see you around and next time you won't have to carry me anywhere." I smile.

"I look forward to it." Emmett grins.

"Professor Decker Fursey." I nod.

He laughs again. "Ms. Patton, it was a pleasure."