Thirteen

He places his hand on my back as he leans in front of me to make sure the coast is clear. I look at him eyes wide, he turns to face me. He gives me a single nod and nudges me to go in front of him. I duck out of the house, travelling through the backyard. I get to the fence and turn to face him. 

"Where is he?" I ask. 

"Over there." He gestures to the tall fence in front of me. 

"You're joking." I say. He smirks. "You're not joking."

He laces his hands together and lowers them. "Up you go love." 

He flashes me a smile. I shake my head, sigh, and put my foot in his hands, placing my hands on his shoulders.  He lifts me up with ease and I grab the top of the fence. I pull myself up, bringing one foot over the fence and then the other. I lower myself slowly on the other side and then drop. I back up a ways and wait for him to join me. I wait a few minutes and nothing. I go to the fence and try to see through the planks of wood. I cannot see him anywhere. I can feel my heart start to race and fill with panic and worry. "Hey." I whisper through the fence. 

"Hey." Someone whispers from behind me. I jump. I swat at his arm when he smirks at me.

"How did you get over?" I ask. "I've been watching."

"I used the gate." He smiles. 

"There was a gate?" I say through gritted teeth.

"No, I'm just sneaky." He winks. "Let's go love, Emmett is waiting." 

I follow him through the yard we just trespassed onto, up to the front of the house. I see Emmett's car parked on the street. He rolls the window down and smiles at me. I smile back and run to the car. I climb into the back seat. 

"Emmett!"

"Miss Gemma, it is a pleasure as always." He watches me through the rear view mirror. 

He climbs in the seat next to me and shuts the door. "Alright. Let's go." 

Emmett starts the car and drives off. We ride in silence until I can no longer stand it. "So who do you think it is that keeps bothering me?"

"I don't know love." He is distant. His answer is vague and I know that he is hiding something from me. 

"Well you must have some idea or else I could have stayed home." Emmett looks to him through the mirror and they make eye contact. Emmett raises his eyebrows and He sighs. 

"It's complicated love. All I know for sure is that you weren't safe by yourself."

"I can take care of myself." I tell him. 

Emmett hides a smile and He smirks. 

"Gemma Rose, I do not doubt your abilities to care for yourself. I am aware of your stubbornness and your ability to make men swoon at your feet. This my love is just a bit more complicated then that." 

"I am not stubborn." I cross my arms over my chest and look out my window. 

"This will be interesting." I hear Emmett mumble. I cannot help but smile at his comment. I look over at Him to see him frowning and deep in thought. 

We arrive at the house and He rushes inside. Emmett helps me with my bags, showing me to a room that He set aside for me. I toss my bag into the armchair once I am alone and lay back on the bed. I cannot help but wonder what is going on. Ever since I ran into Him my whole life has changed. I fell as if I am being followed by someone all the time. Why am I being followed and by who? He seems to believe that whoever is following me is the same person who keeps calling my house. It makes sense, but what do they want from me? I sigh and sit up. I leave my room and walk towards the voices down the hall. I almost walk into the room when I stop myself. 

"This is ridiculous Hal." He shouts. I hide behind the door frame, leaning my head as close as I can in hopes to hear more of their conversation. "I thought this was taken care of." 

"I covered our tracks like you wouldn't believe." Halston tells him. 

"So then why are they here? How did they find us again?" He says angrily. "And so quickly. They shouldn't have found us so soon. It usually takes decades." 

"I don't know." Halston says quietly.

"Well it looks like you're doing a brilliant job of figuring it out." 

"Stop it." Professor Decker says. "This is not anyone's fault." 

"I know." He sighs. "I just don't understand." 

"None of us do, but we will figure it out little brother." Professor Decker assures. 

"She has to stay here." He says. Goosebumps litter my arms at the way he said that. "She isn't safe on her own."

"Father will let her stay." Halston says.

"Why does she have to stay here?" A female voice asks. Poppy. "Can't we just put her in a hotel or something?" 

"Are you serious?" He demands. "You know the severity of the situation Pop, don't make jokes."

"Father will never let her stay here." She says. 

"He doesn't have to know." He says. "Promise me Poppy you won't say anything."

"Eavesdropping?" Emmett whispers from behind me. I jump at the sound of his voice. 

"No, just listening from afar, while admiring the woodwork from behind this door." The words come smoothly out of my mouth. He laughs. 

"Anything good being said?" He asks. 

"I don't know. Your sister doesn't like me much. She threatened to tell your dad that I'm here." 

"She won't." Emmett says. "Anything else?" He asks as if he knows that I'm leaving something out. Like I am not supposed to hear something. Something big. 

"Nope." I whisper. I am going to find out what is going on. He watches me closely as I turn to face the door again. "Nothing."