Ten

"I can't believe you went out with him again." Liam scolds.

"I didn't!" I defend. "I told you, Bram invited me over for dinner and he was there."

"Why was he there?" Mae asks, taking a sip out of her water bottle.

"He lives there." I shrug.

She chokes on her water. "He what?" Liam asks.

"So you know who he is!" Mae exclaims.

"Of course I know who he is. I've known for a long time. But if he wants to play games then I can play games too." I play with the food on my plate. "I don't want him thinking that I looked him up. That's what he wants from me." I shrug.

"Speak of the devil, and he'll appear." Liam whispers.

I perk up to see where He could possibly be coming from. It is a weekend, no one knows about this place except for us and I did not tell Gran where I was going. The only way he could possibly be here is if he followed me. And sure enough there he is, smirk and all. He approaches our table and sits down beside me.

"Hello, everyone. William." He nods. He grabs a fry off my plate and pops it in his mouth. I stare at him in amazement and shock. "What?" He asks me.

"How did you know we were here?" I ask. "Are you following me?"

He smiles at the thought. "Tempting idea love, but no. This happens to be my favorite pub in all of Oakwood. How did you little preppy teens happen upon it?" He rests his head in his palm and stares at Liam, waiting for an answer.

I can see that Liam is chomping at the bit, ready to fight him. Mae places her hand on Liam's shoulder. "Liam can you come help me with the jukebox? You know that I can never figure that thing out."

Liam eases at Mae's touch. He looks to her briefly and relaxes. He slides out of the booth and extends his hand to Mae. She graciously takes it, and stands from the booth.

"I'll be right over there if you need me." Liam places his hand over top of mine, and looks directly in my eyes waiting for an answer. I slide my hands out from under his the second I feel his touch. Mae looks hurt from behind him.

We'll be right back." She tells me. She eyes Him warily before leading Liam away from the table.

"Aren't they adorable." He says. He steals another fry.

"Seriously, what are you doing here?"

"I told you. This happens to be my favorite restaurant. My mother used to take me here on my birthday when I was a child. Now that she's gone I like to come on my own sometimes." He eats another fry. "Why are you so sure I'm following you? Have you been hearing the monsters lately?"

I instantly pale when he brings that up. A cold chill goes through my whole body. "Maybe, but I don't see how that's any of your concern." I take a sip from my glass as he watches me.

"I thought I told you to call me if you felt like you were being followed?" He says, concerned.

"I thought it was you." I whisper. "Besides, I'm fine. See." I watch as his eyes search over my whole body, looking for any marks or bruises. "I'm fine."

"Come with me." He says.

"What? Where?"

"Just come with me." He sighs.

"Why?"

"Because I asked you to." He looks at me and I can see that he is being sincere, there is a sadness and hope in his eyes.

"Fine. Meet me outside." He smiles at my response. He climbs out of the booth and hurries towards the door. I cannot help but smile after him and his excitement. I leave a ten on the table and approach Liam and Mae who have been standing in front of the jukebox.

"Hey, my Gran just called and asked me to come home, something about a pie emergency." I lie. My lying has gotten better and it comes with more and more ease each time I do it.

"Do you need a ride?" Liam asks me.

"No, I'll be okay. I'll call you later." I tell Mae. She nods at me with a small smile. Liam scoops me up into a hug, squeezing my middle.

"Be safe Gemma Bean." He says into my hair. He sets me down and turns back towards Mae. The two of them go back to what they were talking about. I smile at the two of them out of pure happiness for Mae.

I walk out the door and quickly get into the black Bentley waiting for me. I buckle up and look to Him. He is staring at me with one hand on the steering wheel and the other resting in his lap.

"Are you going to go, or are you just going to sit there and watch me?"

He snaps out of his daze and clears his throat. "You couldn't get out of their fast enough." He points out. "Was lunch with mom and dad a little rough today?" He teases.

"Very funny."

"Trouble in paradise?" He jokes. "I saw you move away from him when he reached out to you."

"That was for Mae's benefit." I confess.

"So that's why you avoid his touches like the plague. Your friend is in love with him." He revels. "But he doesn't know, so he's still in love with you."

"Liam is not in love with me." I roll my eyes.

"Well he certainly cares a great deal for you."

"He's my best friend, of course he cares for me." I shrug.

"Well that's a relief." He sighs.

"What is?"

"If he's taken, that's one less male I must keep away from you."

"Are you serious right now?"

"Believe it or not love, there are a fair few who would like to have you. I intend to win your heart. If William has a girlfriend, that's one less competitor." He informs me. He looks at me with the most sincere expression. I sit back in my seat and fold my arms across my chest.

"Where are you taking me?" I ask after awhile.

"Gemma Rose, you ask too many questions." He says with a smirk.