6: Memories and Strange Dreams

Run. Run and don't look back.

A voice in Aka's head rang out as she watched in horror as thick brown fur began to appear all over her.

"What's wrong Sam?" Bonnie asked, "you look like you've just seem a ghost!"

"I-it's nothing Bonnie." Aka stammered and began to lumber off in the direction of the woods behind her and Bonnie's elementary school.

"This is clearly not nothing, Sam. You should see the nurse."

"NO!"Aka roared, causing Bonnie to jump back a bit and a kid a bit across the schoolyard to stare in their direction.

"Sorry." She mumbled, her nose gradually turning into a boxy muzzle, and took off in a sprint towards the woods.

"Sam wait!" Bonnie called after her, but Aka didn't slow down in the slightest.

Bonnie stared after her friend for a bit before chasing after Sam into the forest.

Aka stumbled through the forest, becoming more bearish by the second. This was one of her early shifts. She had very little or no control over when they happened. They didn't hurt and they usually were quite slow, so she had time to hide herself from everyone. They usually happened when she got angry or experienced any very strong emotion. She looked down at her arms. The large paws and thick fur looked out of place on her human torso.

"SAM!" Bonnie's voice rang through the trees, "Sam where are you?"

Aka remained on the mossy log she was sitting on. Maybe she can know. Were Aka's last thoughts before she heard a small gasp come from behind her.

Aka sat almost fully transformed into her bear form with her furry back to Bonnie. The only thing that made her recognizable to her friend was her quickly shortening brown hair that cascaded down her broad shoulders.

Aka turned to face her friend, her brown eyes gentle as she shuffled towards Bonnie. She was now fully in her bear form.

"S-Sam?" Bonnie softly gasped as the massive grizzly in front of her began to nudge her hand with its long boxy muzzle. Bonnie placed a hand on Aka's forehead and gave her a gentle pat.

Aka opened her eyes slowly and immediately recoiled back in shock. Her friend's face had distorted into the then young wicked face of Heath in his human form. His rust colored dreadlocks framed his dirt-smudged bony face. His shoulders shook as he cackled maniacally, showing sharp teeth that weren't quite as sharp as his wolf's, but unnaturally sharp nonetheless.

"You foolish bear." He hissed, pulling back a hand that had sharp fingernails that had been filed to a point.

Aka took a defensive stance and readied herself for Heath's inevitable attack. He lunged, claws first, directly at Aka's throat, but she dodged and managed to leave a small but deep scratch in his arm.

Before she could react, Heath had wheeled himself around and leapt at Aka's exposed back. His sharp fingernails dug deep into the skin and muscle close to her spine. Blood droplets sprayed into the air and the deafening roar of Aka in immense pain filled the forest.

Heath pulled his hand back and shook some of the blood onto the forest floor, an evil smirk tugging at the corners of his mouth. Blood dripped from the deep gash that ran from Aka's lower back up to her shoulder blades dripped onto the ground.

She turned to face Heath, her eyes now holding a furious expression, and launched herself at the rouge leader.

Before she could sink her fangs into him, Heath's voice snapped, "Wake up, you fool." And everything went dark.

Aka woke up with a start and sat panting in fear bolt upright in her bed.

She looked down and saw that Eli had his arms securely wrapped around her waist like a needy cub.

"I though I told you to stay on your side of the bed!" Aka barked, causing the boy to abruptly awaken. He immediately let go and began to stutter profuse apologies.

Aka looked at him sympathetically and ruffled his hair.

"Startles easily, I see." Aka's bear chuffed, "keep a close eye on him, protect him as you would your own cubs."

"I will." Aka responded simply to her bear's instructions. "It's okay, Eli." She said, pulling the small boy to her chest, "we can sleep in a bit, it is Saturday after all."

Eli made a small whimper and gripped Aka around the middle, burying his nose into her stomach as he did so. "I'm actually a bit hungry." Eli muttered, his voice muffled by Aka's oversized shirt, "can we get breakfast?"

•••••••••••••••