9: Quiet

Calypso, Novara, Arios, and Duncan were out in town going to the supermarket,
Leaving Aka and Eli alone in the den.

"So we're mates." Aka bluntly remarked, making Eli look up at her.

"I guess so." Eli responded, chuckling a bit, "imagine what my father would say."

Aka laughed at Eli's over exaggeration of his father. "That's wonderful Eli!" Eli mimicked, scooping Aka into a tight hug, "just what will the pups be like?"

"Well they would unwillingly shift every full moon, but I would wager that they would be able to shift upon command into either a bear or wolf." Aka pondered aloud, hugging Eli back around the midsection.

Eli lurched forward due to the sudden force and they ended up with their noses almost touching. Eli gripped Aka's shoulders to steady himself and pulled away howling with laughter. Aka laughed back and picked him up easily.

"Let's go take advantage of what's left of the snow!" Eli suggested, and they pulled on their snow gear and marched out into the snowy forest.

The pair sat in the snow side by side on a ridge that overlooked a large clearing.

"Hey, how do you know how to get here?" Eli asked Aka.

"Oh, let's just say I know my way around these parts." Aka said, her breath forming small, thin clouds as she breathed out.

The low winter sun caught the snow in the clearing, making it shimmer across the snow.

Eli glanced at Aka. The sunlight made her brown hair appear to be gold tinged and her eyes caught the caught the light and reflected honeyed tones of deep brown.

Eli's silvery hair shimmered like the fallen snow and his blue eyes were rimmed with copper.

"We should probably be getting back before everyone comes home." Eli muttered finally.

Aka nodded in agreement and held out a hand for Eli to take. Eli took her gloved hand and they walked back to their den to wait for Novara, Calypso, Duncan, and Arios to return from the supermarket.

••••••••••••••••••••