Chapter 9 - Out Of Nowhere

Chapter 9: Out Of Nowhere

  The first thing I noticed when I came to was a pungent sweetness to the air around me. That and my hands were bound behind my back as I lay on top of them. I wouldn’t have been able to know that they were behind me except that my shoulders were turned backwards; besides that my arms were so numb I wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference between myself and a double amputee.

  I opened my eyes--kind of afraid of what I’d see when I did--but it was pitch black. It took a few moments for my eyes to adjust to the confines I was in and slowly the edges of a small box formed around me. Oh dear god, am I in a freaking coffin? No, no there—I couldn’t be dead. I was breathing, my heartbeat was beating frantically; therefore I had to be alive. Plus, unlike a coffin there was a low rumbling that shook the whole box softly. But what did that sound like? It was extremely familiar, but…

  Before I needed to deduce that the whole place jolted and my body left the ground for a second. When I came back down the side of my head smacked into a metal rod. Car--I’m most definitely in a trunk. And my face was probably lying on a tire iron. There was hardly enough room for me to twist around so I was back on my back again instead of my side, so I stopped squirming and tried to take deep breaths. Okay, so the last thing I remember was thinking that Wes or Rayne had come to find me in the woods—obviously it hadn’t been either of them because I highly doubt either of them would want to tie me up and throw me in a trunk. Never-mind, Wes probably would have wanted to, but I don’t think he would’ve acted on it. My heartbeat started pounding in my ears when I came to the last resort.

  Ian.

  But I didn’t recognize his scent in the woods, so that meant that it couldn’t have been him, right? My mind wasn’t cooperating with my panicking and helped me remember that no one else had been able to catch his scent, so he could’ve very well masked it. I have to get out of here, now! I started wiggling around again, attempting to untie my hands but they were tied together with a zip tie that was digging gashes in my skin every time I tried wrenching it off. The small trunk was even getting smaller with Ian driving the car; there was no way I could go back to him. I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream. But who would hear me over the roar of a car on a road? It was useless.

  There was a rag tied around my neck but it was pretty loose so I think it had to have been tied around my face but fell off. Tucking my chin in, I felt the moisture coming off of the rag and immediately the sweet scent became more prominent. So it had to be some sort of drug, maybe chloroform? What in the world do I know? Why am I worried about what drug they used, when I’m kidnapped?

  How long was I gone? Had anybody even noticed? I had disappeared in the middle of the night without anyone knowing I was even up besides Tristan who was not only at least three states away but had thought I just went to bed angry. I should have just gone to bed angry; at least there I wouldn’t be hitting my cheek bone on metal every time the car hit a pothole.

  My mind was going crazy, but the longer the car drove on the more quiet my thoughts became. We had hit a soft stretch of asphalt and the humming of the car was becoming monotonous to make me tired. But just as I was slipping into sleep, the car stopped moving. And I was wide awake once again.

  What do I do? What am I supposed to do? As cheesy as it seemed, I thought back to all the movies I had seen where someone had been kidnapped. A door slammed from the cabin of the car and I had known I had no time to decide between methods, so I pretended to be back asleep. There were heavy footsteps going around the car and the jingling of keys before a door opened near the trunk. Whoever it was must’ve stepped gone into wherever the door led because their steps were muted, but it didn’t take them long to come back. The trunk opened with a click and cool air hit my heated body, the sensation was such a relief that I almost sighed, but managed to refrain myself. I hadn’t even realized how hot the trunk had gotten since I had woken up until new air was ventilated through. Must’ve been all my heavy panicked breathing.