Chapter 19 - Closing In

Alex's Point of View

  The sound of numerous sets of tires is what finally jolted me awake. I hadn't expected to sleep for as long as I did, but was very relieved that no one had bothered me all curled up in the trunk. I went to sit up and pushed a heavy jacket off my shoulders in the process. It was a big leather jacket that definitely wasn't mine, but I had no idea which man's it could of been. My best guess was that it was Tristan's since we were using his jeep, but that didn't explain who had laid it across me while I slept.

   I crawled out with a yawn, closing the hatch just as the first of the vehicles pulled in beside us. Six cars--each carrying at least four men--crowded the small campsite that we were in. Several of them had to park further away so that there was still room for all of them to stand as they piled out of them. It was hushed tones and whispers as everyone gathered around the fire pit that was spitting up remnants of last night's ashes.

   I leaned against Tristan's jeep so I could be out of the way of the conversation. It was better that I was just a fly on the wall so they would all just focus on the task at hand instead of berating Rayne as to why I was even here. I wasn't the youngest person in attendance, but I definitely was the only woman.

   Tristan stood up and everyone hushed their murmurings. He looked like he had been dragged through hell and back, but his eyes were angry and determined above the dark circles that had formed. "We believe that the Redwood pack has retreated to this area after last winter's attack. They're probably scattered across a few estates in these woods, but we do believe they are still operating as a single pack. First and foremost, this is a rescue mission to recover a member of our community."

   I was expecting at least a few outbursts of disagreement from some of the men, but it seemed like no one wanted to dare cross Tristan. They didn't want to risk getting their throat ripped out. The campsite was silent as we all waited for what he would say next.

   "And second of all, this is retaliation for the damage they caused us."

   A chorus of cheers and growls responded as everyone could agree on this point. Pack's were extremely territorial and for the attack last year to go unanswered was unheard of. Redwood needed to pay in blood for the treason they committed against us and there was no other pack in the country that would deny us this retribution.

   Rayne stepped up to his brother, putting a hand on his shoulder in support, "Now, we are going to be splitting up into perimeter patrols to get a layout of their compound."

   I could see Wes behind the brothers, arms crossed and staring at the ground in contemplation. My guess is he had heard exactly what the plan was a million times last night and didn't need to pay attention for the announcement. I felt partially guilty for falling asleep instead of pitching in, but at least now I didn't look like a dead man walking. Anger would keep everyone energized for the ambush, but I wanted all my senses to be at their best.

   As if he could feel my eyes on him out of everyone else, Wes looked up and directly at me. His gaze didn't give anything away, but I had a bad feeling that they were going to give me restrictions on what I would be able to help with. I glared back and stood my ground before my attention was pulled back to Rayne as he continued.

   "If we're able to get the full picture on the best plan of attack, tonight we will have our payback."

  The place was a blur after that, men were every which way, falling into the patrols they were normally assigned to and being addressed by either Wes, Tristan, or Rayne. I looked around to see if I could fit myself in anywhere, but I highly doubted I would be able to sneak into a patrol without everyone in the unit knowing. There was no way that Wes would allow me to assist in the patrol this time, he had only been lenient with the initial search and our four man group because there had been no other choice. But here I had no advantage on my side, and I knew that he would pull the inexperienced card if I tried to worm my way into any search party.