Chapter 5: Um, No Thanks

After breakfast I didn't really have any urges to go home just yet. So Jay and I killed some time just wandering the streets, window shopping and going in and out of the smaller shops with sale signs. My pockets weren't jingling with money, but the crumpled ten pound note clenched in my fist would probably cover any trinkets Jay or I saw. I didn't really plan on buying anything but it felt good to have it there just in case.

As we walked, I kept up a stream of sarcastic humour during the journey, while Jay, little by little, started talked. 'Course I always had to probe him with questions and expectant stares before he even thought about opening his mouth, but it was a start.

"Guess you can count this as me showing you around the neighbourhood," I joked, stuffing my chapped hands into my pockets, the rough fabric grazing my knuckles. Predictably, Jay responded with a smile and a nod. I didn't bother clutching at straws for a conversation. We continued walking in silence.

"Hey look! It's Ash!"

Startled I glanced up from the concrete paving. Standing before me was a group of boys from my year group who were, to put it nicely, downright pricks. Typically athletes, these muscled specimens didn't quite reach average human intelligence, and equated a punch in the shoulder to a greeting. I wasn't especially noticed in school; in fact I spent most of my time in the library. But this variety of witless wonder was unnaturally amused by harassing the more intelligent life forms.

What I'm trying to say is: they walked all over me. And I let them.

"Hey buddy!" greeted Lewis, the 'ring-leader' of the group, slinking an arm over my shoulder. I looked at him suspiciously. "Who's your friend? He looks like a bit of an athlete..."

His voice trailed off, leaving more than a hint of suggestion in the air. Ah. That made sense. Of course he wasn't here to talk to me. He wanted the news on the new meat in town.

"That's Jay," I mumbled, jerking my thumb in his direction. I didn't bother elaborating. Jay smiled hesitantly and gave them a limp wave. The boys huddled together in the typical footballer fashion, one often sticking their neck out to scrutinise Jay one last time, and conversed in hushed whispers. I folded my arms and raised an eyebrow, trying to keep my cool despite Jay's obvious discomfort.

"So, you new here?" asked Lewis, once again taking charge. Jay nodded. Lewis eyed him up suspiciously.

"You're kind of a silent guy, you know that?"

"So what?" I snapped, suddenly feeling the urge to defend Jay against these imbeciles. "You're kind of a jerk, but I didn't point that out."

The crowd of footballers stared at me, open mouthed. Suddenly, protecting Jay didn't seem all that attractive. Lewis smirked, and ran a hand through his hair, somehow making even an innocent movement like that seem arrogant. He walked over to Jay; standing way too close for comfort I might add, and leered at him.

"Hey why don't you hang out with us at school?" he offered, not even bothering to ask if Jay was going to school here. "Means you don't have to tail about with... you know..." he 'subtly' jerked his head in my direction. "...The wet rag."

A fiery anger rose up in my chest. He was obviously referring to me. I knew I was a skinny little squirt, and I knew athletics wasn't my calling, but that didn't give him the right to go and mess my reputation for Jay.

"Um, no thanks," replied Jay coolly. "I don't hang out with malicious people. Thanks for the offer."

And with that extraordinary statement, he grabbed me by the wrist and brushed by them. To my surprise, the gaggle of boys on front of us parted easily. I stumbled after him, still slightly dazed, but smiled brightly at my gobsmacked peers nonetheless.