XXIV

Special dedication to flynzie for the beautiful cover/banner on the side! :) 

*

“All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players; they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts.”

— Shakespeare

The following weeks dissolved slowly into months. Spring faded into summer that would turn into autumn and finally winter. Her sadness ebbed away. Her blonde hair grew longer. She got a job in a bookstore and moved out of her parent’s house to her own place two hours away. She got a Persian cat and called her Mittens. She started to take painting lessons. She changed the way she liked her coffee and read and cried over hundreds of new books. She went on dates and made new friends and developed different tastes in movies. And steadily, she grew into a young adult – or maybe she was simply finding the person she had been all along.

She kept her notebook with her at all times because she had promised Luke she would not give up on writing, that she wouldn’t be one of those people who settled. She didn’t see him again, but she found he had made a larger impact on her life than she’d initially thought.

He’d taught her things she had never learned in school. Like, sometimes a person has to just stop for a few minutes, take a breather, and smile. Not for any particular reason, but plainly because you can. She’d learned that there was a difference between being weak and being human and from pointing out the most ordinary things to help her write, he’d showed her that it was extortionary to find beauty in the ordinary, something she had not fully appreciated nor understood at the time. He’d also taught her without even meaning to that people leave. Some stay longer than others, but in the end everyone has their exit.

And by thinking about these things, she thought back to the times she’d spent with him and everything else she had discovered from being so close to another being. And she realised that she did, in fact, have a story to tell. 

She put pen to paper and wrote the title: Books with a Smidge of Coffee.