VI

“There’s nothing like deep breaths after laughing that hard. Nothing in the world like a sore stomach for the right reasons.”

— Stephen Chbosky

The coffee shop was closed for construction purposes. With nothing else to do, both her and Luke made the decision to visit the park. She had never spent much time with him away from the familiar little shop with its familiar wooden tables, so this new vista was different for them. Not in a bad way, but different in the way one might get excited yet nervous before a job interview.

It was autumn, and she shuffled her feet around in the leaves as they sat on a wooden bench. She watched couples walk by holding hands and dogs catch frisbees and, what really caught her attention, children. She watched them run around and around giggling and squealing as they played tag. One of their mothers nearby called out to be careful, and Audrey almost smirked. Hadn’t adults learned advising children to be careful was pointless? That they had no idea there were far worse dangers out there than the bogeyman?

“Do you miss it?” Luke’s voice was so close and abrupt that she startled slightly, not realising he’d noticed where she was looking.

“Miss being a kid?”

“Yeah.”

She did not say anything for a while. Not because she had to think about it, but because it was rather sad. It had never properly dawned on her until now that she might never have that innocent outlook on life again. “We could only be about ten years older than them,” she replied instead.

“We’re not kids though,” he pointed out. “We’re expected to act mature.”

She stared at the kids wistfully, the corners of her mouth turning down. But before she could begin to feel too sad, Luke’s shoulder gently connected with her own. She met his eyes curiously; a playful glint to them that had her wondering if maybe this was the time to shift away. Before she could make the decision, however, his shoulder nudged hers again – harder this time, quickly followed by another. Following his lead, she pushed her side into his and his smile grew wider.

The nudging game began and ended when she picked up a pile of leaves and tossed them at him. He reached out to grab her, but she slipped under his clutch and ran, just like the children a little way up the path, with Luke chasing after her and her laughter and squeals ringing through the day.