Chapter 3: Into The Mine

CHAPTER 3: (Katniss's POV)

     Now we're dropping the kids off at my mother'shouse. If anything happens to me and Peeta I know they will be in good hands. We kiss and embrace the kids in a warm hug and tell them we will be back soon. Then we are on our way. 

     "Katniss, are you sure about this?" Peeta asks as we approach the mine. What is he, mad? Of course I'm serious. We brought down the the capitol and I can't just let it rise again. I won't let my children go through that. "Peeta, I'm sure." I reply "We have to do this!" So I go into the mine 'elavator' Peeta follows close behind and we go down. It's pitch black down here. We grab the flashlights and start walking in the direction opposite of where we came in. "I don't see the blue light." Peeta says annoyed "I doubt it even exists." "Peeta Stop!" I snap "You being negative is not helping things here, so just stop!" And then It hits me. We've been walking for about an hour now and I know my dad ony went half an hour deep into the mine. If he saw it we should be seeing it now. "Peeta! I know why we can't see it." I scream. "Oh yeah? Why then?" he says clearly still annoyed. "Remember the story? My dad and his friends were singing. Maybe we have to sing the song." I answer. The only question is what song he used to sing down here in the mines.  We Sit on a rock that seems to be a makeshift chair and i think.... I try to recall any stories of my dad saying WHAT song he would sing down here. I was thinking 'Deep in the Meadow' but that couldn't be it... My mother taught us that not our father... What's The song? Then just like a rock falling from the mine roof, an idea hit me...I don't even tell Peeta, I just start singing. 

Down in the valley, the valley so low

Hang your head over, hear the wind blow

Hear the wind blow, dear, hear the wind blow;

Hang your head over, hear the wind blow.

Roses lo--

That sneaky presidet.... right when I got to the the verse about roses... Peeta and I both see it at the same time. "PEETA! Do you know what this means?!" Peeta replies slightly frightened "no. honey... what?" "President Snow... he'sbeen planning this before I killed him... getting Cinna to District 12 is going to be harder than I thought." .... An with that we head deeper into the mine towards the blue light.