A Rogue's Kiss

Pandora accepted the Lord's hand. She brushed the dirt off herself. "Thank you, Lord Tristan." Pandora dabbed at the tears which were clouding her eyes. Her breath caught a bit when she recognized the chiseled features of the Lord's face.

Lord Tristan, handsome in his blue waistcoat, and gold riding breeches, quietly studied Pandora. He lifted her chin up. "I think something has upset you."

"Not at all, " Pandora started to protest, but a hurricane of emotion started to push its' way to the surface.

Lord Tristan circled a protective arm around Pandora's waist. She walked beside him, as he led her to a weeping beech tree. As they stood under the sweeping canopy of light green leaves, she offered, "I don't know why you would care to hear about my troubles after our encounter."

"Not at all, my dear Miss Freestone, I should be very pleased to hear anything you'd like to tell me."

"I can't believe I'm telling you this, but there's no one else, I suppose. I'm to be married off to Lord Warwick. It's been arranged like I'm chattel, or property."

"Perhaps it won't be as bad as you think. I know Lord Warwick, and he's a pleasant enough chap, and very wealthy. Isn't he a suitable catch?"

Pandora felt a stab of sadness as Lord Tristan spoke. "But I don't even know him. I don't even love him."

"What would make you love someone?"

"I don't know, I can't explain it, but," Pandora let her words trail.

Lord Tristan inched in closer to her. "I think I do know."

"How impudent, thinking you know what could make me love a man."

Pandora broke away, and walked down the grassy hill until she came to a pond. She stood silent as she watched the swans swim by in the crystal blue water. .She looked up at Lord Tristan who remained stationary in his spot.

"Do you want some company, Miss Freestone?"

"You can come if you want, I don't really care."

"Actually, I do enjoy the swans very much." He joined Pandora beside the pond

"How do you propose to know so much about marriage? You are five and thirty and have never been wed."

"No, but perhaps there is a reason."

"And what would that reason be?"

"I can't quite put it into words, Miss Freestone. It's just that the ladies that my father would have me wed just haven't..." He stopped in mid-sentence, and shrugged his shoulders.

"When you do marry, don't you wish to marry for love?"

"Of course, but time is running out."

Pandora offered up her gaze to the Lord. He returned it with a piercing stab of his dark, velvety eyes. Pandora could feel the tempo of her heart raise. She stood still as the Lord brought his lips down upon hers, and kissed her.

He released his kiss "You must think I'm a rogue to steal a kiss."

"I must say you are not the average Lord."

"No, my dear, that is true. I have never been one to follow the rules of society."

"I can see that. To think I would kiss a man I hardly know." Pandora remained in her spot, facing the searing gaze, and slightly amused expression of Lord Tristan.

"You are free to go. Miss Freestone."

"Oh you are impossible. I have heard about you and...."

"And what? Don't be afraid, I've never been one to be upset by gossip."

"I heard that you have a taste for lower class women."

"I've bedded my share of tavern wenches and maids." His stare penetrated her soul, but he didn't say anything, making Pandora slightly uneasy.

"Then perhaps you should continue to pursue those types of women, since it seems to suit you so well."

Lord Tristan stood so close to Pandora that she could feel his sweet, warm breath. His head skirted over her head. "Aaah, luscious lavender, very beguiling, it's something I never smell on a tavern wench."

As his large, masculine hand lifted her chin, a swarm of butterflies swam inside Pandora's stomach.

Her body loosened, as his firm lips curled around hers. Pandora allowed the Lord to dip his tongue between the seam of her lips. He broke his caress upon her lips, and stared down at her ample cleavage. Pandora wondered if Lord Tristan could hear the thunderous beat of her heart. Lord Tristan bestowed another kiss upon Pandora's eager lips, as his hands caressed her waist.

Only the chirping birds broke the stillness of the moment, until a male voice burst out. "What is the meaning of this?" Lord Warwick ran to the couple. He stared at Lord Tristan's hand encircling Pandora's waist. His demanding eyes met Lord Tristan's, and then he lowered his gaze to Pandora's waist. Pandora's lips curled up. "Well?" he demanded again.

Lord Tristan leisurely lowered his gaze to his hands. "Oh." Lord Tristan released his grasp on Pandora.

Lady Vincent walked down the grass to join the trio. "Thank heavens you found her, Lord Warwick." Cynthia moved closer to her sister. "Pandora, Lord Warwick and I were frantic. She touched her sister's arm. "The coachman spotted a large boulder in front of the carriage. It's been moved now, so let's all get back to the carriage>" Cynthia started to move up the hill. "Come on, dear, Lord Warwick will take us back now." She glanced back at her sister, who held a distinctively stubborn look on her face. She looked at the clenched jaw of Lord Warwick. When she gazed at Lord Tristan, she saw a slight smirk on his handsome face. "What is going on here?" she asked cautiously.

"I'll tell you what's going on, Lady Vincent," Lord Warwick began. "When I found your sister she was being kissed by Lord Royce."

"Pandora, is that true?"

"Yes," she proclaimed. "It's true."

"Lord Royce, I think you have behaved without any regard for decorum. Miss Freestone is my betrothed."

"I have never agreed to this marriage. "

"Perhaps that is good, Miss Freestone." Lord Warwick's voice was icy.

"Lord Warwick, please don't be hasty. It appears that Lord Royce has taken advantage of my sister. Imagine kissing a woman he barely knows in broad daylight. It's unheard of."

Before Lord Warwick could answer, a female voice could be heard from the top of the hill. "Lord Royce, there you are." Pandora followed the voice to find a very beautiful lady, with chestnut brown ringlets, standing on top of the hill. She turned a stunned look onto Lord Tristan, and hoped her face didn't betray the hurt she felt inside. If Lord Tristan felt anything,  you couldn't   tell from the perfectly deadpan look on his face.