The Ton Will Talk

"Pandora, I've instructed my carriage to return to my home. I will return with you to your home."

The women climbed into Pandora's carriage. Lady Cynthia was wearing a stern expression.

"Now what is this earth shattering thing you have to tell me?"

"Pandora, mother is destitute."

"What? How can that be? We live in Mayfair, with servants."

"Pandora, Father Left our mother in debt .She's been struggling to keep afloat financially. My husband has been helping out as much as he could, but...."

"But why didn't she tell me?"

"She didn't want to distress you, and she was hoping that you would make a fortunate marriage."

"Cynthia, mother can't afford to keep me anymore, can she?"

"I'm afraid not, Pandora. Her next step is to sell the house and move in with us."

"And me?"

"You're welcome to stay with us, of course."

"But your husband hates me."

"He doesn't hate you, Pandora. It's just that you're such an independent type of lady. He's used to a more demure type of lady."

"Cynthia, what have I done?"

Cynthia shook her head. "You've managed to alienate Lord Warwick, and now, with Miss Powell observing that scene between you and Lord Royce, I'm afraid you've sealed your own fate."

"How are we ever going to tell Mother?"

"That's why I'm coming home with you. I'm there to at least guarantee her a place to live."

"But what's to come of me?"

"Pandora," Cynthia said sharply, "don't you think it's time to stop thinking of yourself? Perhaps if you had thought of other people more, you would be the wife of Lord Warwick."

"Cynthia, I don't love Lord Warwick."

"Love can come in time, Pandora. I wasn't madly in love with my husband, but we have a warm marriage."

"But I want something more."

"What is this thing that you want more of, Pandora?" Cynthia said rather impatiently.

"I can't quite explain it, Cynthia. It's just that men like Lord Warwick don't interest me."

"And a rake like Lord Royce does?"

"No, of course not. I wouldn't dream of entertaining Lord Royce as a suitor."

"Then perhaps this something more you dream of doesn't exist."

Pandora fell silent as the carriage pulled up in front of her home. She touched her sister's arm. "Cynthia, thank you for coming home with me. I couldn't face mother alone after what you told me."

"It's going to be hard telling her the news." Pandora followed Cynthia out of the carriage. Pandora's heart thumped in her chest as she let her sister into the house with her. Their mother was sitting in the parlor. She hugged both her daughters. "How did it go?" she looked at Cynthia hopefully.

"Mother," Cynthia's voice was gentle.

"Oh, dear, it didn't go well."

"Now, Mother, I didn't say that."

"You don't have to. I can tell by the look on your face, and the gentle tone in your voice. You're trying to break bad news to me."

"There's no use trying to prolong the inevitable, I suppose. " Cynthia drew in a deep breath. "Mother, the marriage is off."