Chapter 4

Jack's story

It's been three days since I have last seen, Alex, three days since we last spoke and already I feel this pit of loneliness fill my heart. It's not pleasant, I assure you. You feel empty. Less joy in the world, your chest feels heavy, longing for something or someone.

So that's why I'm here, outside his door, outside his apartment, nervously thinking of all possible scenarios in my head. All with the possibility that Alex was pretending to be nice, ends up killing me because of my naïve nature.

I let out a heavy sigh. This is Pete's influence. He's raised me not to trust vampires and yet I trust, Alex. He told me everything about his past, just as I did with mine. Vampires are protective about their past, especially when they were human. It's obvious that Alex trusted me enough to tell me about his human life. It shows he's different.

Taking a deep breath, I knock at Alex's door. I waited a few minutes and received no answer. Unsure I hesitantly knock once more.

"I'm coming!" I hear him yell lazily. This was a bad idea. My heart rate picked up as I hear heavy footsteps coming towards the door. Is he angry? Did I disturb him? Is he . . . eating?

Images of Alex flashed into my head, picturing him killing a half naked girl, dressed only in her under wear and Alex having his fangs deep into her neck, blood covering his mouth.

My breath hitched as I hear the door unlocked.

Alex rubbed his eyes tiredly, yawning as he did, his fangs poked through. Alex only wore long pyjama bottoms and no shirt, his hair dishevelled and strands sticking up in odd directions. I still can't get pass the no shirt though. I couldn't help but to stare. This is not what I was expecting!

"Jack?" he tiredly questions. "It's nine at night, what are you doing here?" he asks trying holding in a yawn.

"I-I c-came to see you," I timidly answered. Alex scrunched his face up. I believe he's trying to process what I just said. "S-sorry is this a bad time?" I asked and Alex's eyes widen.

"No, it's just a little early that's all," he answered, yawning once more. Early?

It makes sense they sleep during the day but wouldn't they be up once the sun sets? I guess they're more like us, but more nocturnal. "Sorry, would you like to come in?" he asked moving out the way. I slowly nodded and walked in. Alex shut the door and the apartment became pitch black. I guess he doesn't need lights.

"Do you want anything to drink? I have tea or coffee?" he asked me in the darkness, as I stand awkwardly in one place. I try and make out where Alex could be.

"U-um, water is just fine, thank you," I replied.

Finally I can see. The layout of the apartment is more open, the kitchen and lounge connect to each other, a wide space in between, would be use for a table set placing. I noticed two doors at the back and a third on the left, one probably be the bathroom, the other the bedroom and the laundry room. Everything was so modern.

"I thought it would be easier for you to see," Alex chuckled. I laughed nervously and noticed the water placed on the bench. I gently took the glass and thanked him.

Alex nodded and went to the jug and put it on boil. He grabbed the instant coffee and a mug. Decorated with fangs and the statement 'bite me' on it, obviously a joke mug, given to him by someone close. "So, why did you come by?" Alex asked me, his eyes not leaving the jug.

"I, um, wanted to see how you were," I answered, showing a small smile. Alex nodded and poured the hot water into the mug.

"Aww, it's only been two days and you miss me already," he teased. His sudden change in mood suddenly surprised me but almost left me speechless.
"N-no, I just . . ." I trailed off, after hopelessly stumbling my words.