Imagine #2 - Up in Smoke

(Y/N) = Your Name

Blinking your eyes open, you dimly registered your bedroom wall - the beige paint was still dark with night sky, barely lit up by faint beams of moonlight. Twisting around, you reached for your nightstand, twisting the clock around to look at the time - 3:06 in the morning.

Huh.

Pulling the blanket around your shoulders once more, you snuggled back into your pillow, trying your best to get back to sleep. Just as you started to drift off again, however, a loud piercing snore cut through the air.

Mark. Rolling over, you shot his sleeping figure an evil glare. Sleep was EXTREMELY vital, but obviously, your fiance didn't care, the heartless douchebag. Feeling defeated, you snatched up your pillow, burying your head underneath the bag of fluff. As if Mark knew you were tired, he snored again, louder than the first.

"For Pete's sake, Mark!!" You cried out, whipping off your pillow and smashing it into his face. Mark jumped up suddenly, his disheveled hair sticking out in all directions. "Wha... (Y/N)! What the heck?!" He exclaimed, throwing a hand into the air. In response, you placed a hand on your hip, raising an eyebrow. "Well, you pretending to be asleep wasn't particularly amusing to me, either!" You shot back.

Mark's eyebrows furrowed together. "Why the heck would I be faking? It's..." He leaned far over to check the time, peering past your figure. "It's three a.m.!" As if to prove his point, Mark kicked the covers off of the side of the bed. "And why in the world is it so hot freaking hot in here?!"

For the first time that night, you noticed the heat; it registered dimly, but you merely payed no mind. "You probably just turned the heat on; again, might I add." You muttered, rolling your eyes as you got out of bed and made your way to the door. "Honestly, Mark, you can be such a-"

You never finished. As soon as you pulled open the door, you were blasted with a wave of heat and sinister golden light. From your spot in the doorway, you could see that flames were climbing the staircase of your home - and they didn't look like they were going to stop anytime soon.

"Uhh... Mark?! MARK?!?!"You shrieked, turning around and racing back to the bed. "There's a..." You trailed off, not being able to get the words out. Mark jumped from the bed, making his way efficiently to the door. As soon as he saw the flames, his eyes widened in fear.

"Oh, my God."

Spinning on his heel, he barreled you onto the bed, hurrying to the window himself. Hurriedly, his finger fumbled with the latch, struggling to get it open. From where you sat frozen on the bed, however, you could see that the latch was not going to let up.

At all. 

Turning back to you, your fiance stared absently at you with a pale face. Beyond the door, the roar of fire got louder; the sure sign of your oncoming death.

"We can't get out." You whimpered, hugging your knees to your chest. Glancing up, you spotted some smoke that was starting to pile up on the ceiling, as if taunting you. Mark, with a quick look at the ceiling, took a step towards the bed and wrapped you into his arms.

"Shhh..." He soothed, stroking your back gently. "It's alright. Y/N. Don't worry about it." As he spoke, the tears began to fall. smoke began to make it's way into your lungs, and you closed your eyes, trying to block out the pain. Blindly, you reached out and hugged Mark tight, not letting go of him...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You arose to the sound of birds chirping. Bright sunlight, unlike the harshness of the fire before.

What? But, I thought that...

Turning over, you saw someone.

Mark. Sound asleep in your bed.

You leaned into him absently, your heart swelling. It was all just a dream.

Just a dream.