Imagine #5 - Above and Beyond

(Y/N) = Your Name

(Y/N/N) = Your Nickname

"Oh my gosh, Mark, shut up!" You laughed, pressing the phone closer to your ear. "It's just a date, so don't go telling me that this guy's gonna be 'The One', or whatever." Pausing, you started to absently pick at a loose thread on your shirt. "Or maybe he will be... Dang it, Mark!" You groaned, flopping face-first onto the couch. "Love's freaking confusing."

On the other line, Mark laughed, a deep and hearty noise. "I know, (Y/N), trust me. Been there, done that." There was a brief pause before he continued. "I hope you have fun tonight."

With a small sigh, you answered him giddily, with a wide grin. "Thanks!" Your eyes briefly flicked over to the small clock on your cable box, and you gasped, standing straight up. "Oh, my God, he's gonna be here soon! Gotta go, bye!" Without waiting for a response, you hung up, throwing the phone down onto the couch and sprinting to the closet.

~~~

Mark was sitting on the couch, thumbing through Tumblr, when his phone buzzed and almost scared the shit out of him. Shaking his head slightly, he swiped to answer his phone, relaxing back into the couch. "Yes, date girl?"

"Mark... Can you do me a favor?"

Her voice was hoarse.

"(Y/N/N), are you okay? What happened?" Mark asked, sitting up straight and frowning. On the other end, her voice came through.

"I got sick... I thought I had medicine here, but I don't. Can you pick some up?"

"I'm already getting my coat. Where's the date guy?"

"I told him not to come... I don't want to waste his time."

"You're sick and he didn't come to take care of you?"

"It's okay, Mark, I told him not to worry about it."

"It's still a dick move." He snorted. "I'll be there in five."

"Thanks."

~~~

It was two in the morning when you briefly woke up, blinking hazily as you struggled to remember what had happened the previous night. Why were you one the couch?

Sitting up and running your eyes, you noticed a figure across from you, stretched out over the floor with his phone resting on his chest; Mark. His glasses were slightly askew, making him look even more exhausted than he obviously was. (And cute, but that's a thought you'll keep to yourself.) As you watched, he snored lightly, making you giggle slightly.

Of course, that's when you remembered that he's gone above and betond the call of duty last night. When you sneezed, he had ten tissues at the ready. When you coughed, he brought water. When you rushed to the bathroom to throw up, he'd sucked up his pride, followed you in, and held your hair back like a good friend should.

He'd gone above and beyond the call of duty.

With a small, satisfied smile, you flipped your pillow over before settling back again, kicking off your blanket and attempting a happy sigh. (However, it got stuck in your nostrils, so you settled for a happy inhale-through-the-mouth.)

"You're a good friend." You managed to whisper, slipping back into sleep as the words came out of your mouth.

It was too dark to see that you'd woken him up when you were readjusting, too dark to see that his eyes were open, and that he had heard your sentence clearly.

It was too dark to see the disappointment that crossed his face.