five

good company

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆

It had been almost a week since Noa had begun to help Seth with his winter assignment. Since then, they were almost inseparable, hanging out often to 'work' and staying up on the phone together as they never seemed to run out of topics to talk about. Seth had been teaching her about 'pop' culture and everything it meant to be a teenager, well, from his point of view. He had showed her everything from his favorite shows, movies, songs, even his favorite foods and, they occasionally got work done here and there. It was a fair trade, he had called it: she was teaching him the complexities of poetic prose and he was teaching her how to be, in his own words, 'as cool as a cucumber'. Noa was beginning to feel normal, and that pleased her to such an extent she wasn't able to explain in words. She smiled as she clung to the house phone, twirling the cord with her fingers absentmindedly while Seth rambled on about the upcoming winter solstice and their tribe's plans for the event.

She had been so distracted, she hadn't heard Jacob enter the small kitchen until his voice made her jump. "Tell your boyfriend I said 'hi'," the older boy joked as he passed her and made his way to the sink for a cup of water, his smirk growing into a smile as he heard Noa scoff from behind him while Seth's laugh rang through as he settled in closer to where she stood perched by the wall.

Seth wasn't the only person she had gotten closer to during her stay, Jacob becoming somewhat of a friend as Charlie and Billy continued to push them onto another, hoping Noa could have enough people surrounding her to distract the girl from the tragedy that brought her here in the first place. Neither minded as she found his presence quite similar to Seth's, joyous and talkative in a way that didn't require her to speak much but rather, soak up every word he said. She easily understood why Seth admired him so much; he was, on paper, perfect. He was a dutiful son and did as he was told with a smile, beautifully amicable as long as he was allowed a few hours each day to work on his car, his most prized possession. Jacob's father seemed quite pleased with their getting along and smiled as he heard the two converse from his spot on the couch next to Charlie before his attention returned to the basketball game blaring from the tv in front of them.

Noa's eyes narrowed at Jacob as he stood across from her before she emphasized for the fifth time in a week, "he is not my boyfriend." Seth's laughter ceased and she could hear the sound of him kissing his teeth dramatically. "Ouch, that hurts," he admitted jokingly, hoping that his tone wouldn't give away the fact that he actually was hurt at her aggressive proclamation of him not being of romantic interest to her. "Guess that means I'll have to find another date for the pow wow tomorrow night, shame..." he trailed off sarcastically, knowing good and well he had no intentions of taking anyone else and it took him an embarrassing amount of time to muster up the courage to even ask her in the first place.