seven

noa's first christmas

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆

The crisp chill of the Olympic Forest welcomed Noa on Christmas Eve, though she couldn't exactly feel it due to her not being in her physical body. She was dreaming of course, astral projecting if you wanted to be specific. It was the first time she'd done so since her arrival in the small town and she was beyond elated, being welcomed by all the flora and fauna that northern Washington had to offer as if she were a longtime friend, which was true. Though the animals and plants she witnessed in her brief childhood spent in Forks had passed on, their spirits still lived in those that took their place and they knew her in the same way her spirit knew them.

She'd always been fond of nature and all that dwelled within it, including humans as she'd deemed them most interesting to her due to the restrictions put into place by her mother. She always wondered why other humans were banned from their proximity, or why she'd been disallowed from forming any connections with anyone besides her mother, even being denied a pet fish once. Now, having been around others besides her mother for almost an entire month, she understood why her mother refused her comfort in others.

She noticed the way Sue always found a way to make her children laugh, or to heal Seth or Quil's cuts whenever they'd hurt themselves during a soccer game. She noticed how Charlie managed to get up every night without fail whenever Bella found herself scared straight from whatever nightmares were plaguing her, coming to her and cradling her like a child while assuring her he was there and nothing would hurt her. How Harry would always put a little extra of Leah's favorites on her plate whenever she was in a particularly bad mood, even if they were his favorites as well and it meant he went without them. Charlotte Swan didn't want her daughter to know that while there was indeed evil in the world, there was an abundance of love. So much love that it made Charlotte Swan appear to be the devil reincarnate.

Noa had indeed finished the book her neighbor had given her, coming to the conclusion that her mother was a narcissist, an abusive one at that. It only motivated her further, to seek out, surround and immerse herself in the love her mother swore she'd never received. She was so grateful for the extra few dollars Joy would slip into her hand on top of her weekly pay with a wink, or the extra candy Quil would sneak her when he thought no one was looking. The way Sue would sing her to sleep or make her laugh whenever she'd come to her with tears about a new revelation about her mother and how awful she truly was. This was love and she felt it so fully, even in the thick of the forest at night, when she felt the earth beneath her welcoming her mere presence.

How could she have been so foolish to think this love hadn't existed before? She wanted more of it, her feet leading her further into the forest that literally lit up with every step she took. The soft voices of nature seemed to grow louder and deeper, voices layered and mingled with one another to the point where it was hard to distinguish one from the other. Slowly, she came around to a rather large tree, one she clutched softly, as though she was hugging a dear friend, peaking her head around meekly for a better look and listen.