Chapter four

"I know Kayle, but I need to do these things by myself," I say getting up and opening the door. I glance back at Mary. "Thanks for the biscuits and the chat. I feel much better now."

She nods, "my door's always open if you need to talk."

Kayle looks stressed and I don't blame him but when I happen to look out the window I see that everything has changed. The ghosts are there again, I don't think we'll get rid of them in a hurry, but there's another army making its way to our doorstep. This mysterious organisation that has been trying to kill me since before I was born more than likely.

"You knew that Matt was going to kill me," my voice is flat. I need to know.

"No, but I knew Matt works for them," Kayle sighs. "The other societies are ruled over by this organisation of... mercenaries. Blaise, you're right in saying that we need to get out, but..."

"If I want help to fight I'm going to have to fight to get people motivated, even if Damillias is slowly taking over."

Kayle sighs heavily and nods, "Matt told you everything then?"

"He told me enough. I like this world, I don't want to destroy it."

Kayle hugs me tightly and we wander down to the quiet spot in the bar we've claimed as ours. Even though we're mature this all reminds me of high school, it's weird. Whenever something bad happens we revert back to the childish groups and separations. Although this isn't just jocks and geeks, its humans and werewolves, and witches and angels, and whatever else we\ve got camping out with us.

"Kayle, do you honestly think we have a chance of winning this?"

He taps his chin rhythmically, thinking everything through before saying anything. Like some kind of super computer, Kayle works out like five things at once, and in times like this I know every single combat strategy is running through his mind.

"Yes, I do," Kayle's hands twitch and all of the table decorations shake and move to us. "And I know how we can save Churchill, but it will take time. That's what we can't depend on, we don't know how long this ceasefire will last."

"How can we save my town?"

"The angel army. We can bring my army here."

"We can't. Damillias will know we're preparing to fight," and then another thought hits me. "It will leave the Shadowlands vulnerable, you will put Eazara and Dimka in danger."

"I know," Kayle takes my hand and squeezes it gently. "It's the only way. Angels against Demons, you aren't strong enough Blaise. Your villagers aren't an army and they can't fight."

"But I don't want Dimka put in any kind of danger."

"I don't want that either. I swear to you Blaise I will keep our son safe." He starts to pull away from me but his eyes tell me he doesn't know how to keep Dimka safe.

I grab his hand and pull him back down to me. "You will not do anything that puts us in more danger until you find a way to keep our son safe."

"Blaise..."

"Promise me Kayle!"

"I will. Blaise you're glowing again."

I glance down at my hand. Kayle's right. My hand looks like it's been bathed in a candle's glow and I think my wings are on fire too. I don't remember letting them out, but there's a warm and comforting glow bathing my spine.

"The angel of Churchill has returned," Mary and her husband breathe out at the same time.

"I'm not an angel," I scoff and my wings curl around me.