Chapter 2 - A Rough Start

I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THIS CHARACTER APART FROM SELENE DELUNA, THE REST BELONG, SADLY, TO JK ROWLING

Chapter 2 - A Rough Start

Selene's POV

"...and let's make this year, the best one so far!" Uncle Albus shouted as roars errupted from the hall. None louder than my own. There was no way this year could be worse than any other.

Dumbledore clapped his hands, and the table was covered in food. Plates of meats, vegetables, pastries, cakes and desserts were scattered amongst the students, as loud chattering resumed amongst the hall. I scanned the tables with my deep brown eyes, searching for Severus. I noticed the group of Slytherin guys that were sitting round him, all of them staring at me, Lucius most of all. I hated the way that they looked at me, it was as though I were a piece of meat, instead of a human being with a brain and personality.

"Aren't you going to eat anything?" A kind, intelligent voice asked from beside me. I turned round to see Remus looking concerned, his rich, hazel eyes searching my face for a problem, or an answer. I swallowed the lump in my throat, induced by nerves.

"N...no." I replied, the way that most the guys were looking at me, made me feel quite sick. I was hoping that Hogwarts wouldn't be a school so looks-based, unlike Beauxbatons.

He smiled warmly at me before going back to his plate of vegetables.

"Are you vegetarian?" I asked, intrigued.

"Yeah...I can't really stomach meat after..." He trailed off, obviously lost in thought.

"Oh...sorry..." He said, after he came back down to earth. I chuckled at the embarassed look on his face.

"S'ok." I smiled at him before reaching forward for my goblet of pumpkin juice. My hand brushed his, sending sparks up my arm. I pulled back, shocked, as he looked up at me nervously. I waited a while before picking up my cup, and letting the thick, sweet liquid trickle down my throat. A smile came to my lips as I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the great hall, but I couldn't overlook the stares aimed at my back.

I must have zoned out, because when I looked back up, the great hall was almost empty.

"Are you coming?" Remus asked, offering me his hand to help me up from the table.

"I think I'll just go see Sev for a bit, if that's ok?" I asked, taking his hand in mine. The familiar sparks went shooting through my hand. What was with that?

"Of course it is. Do you want me to come and find you to take you back to the common room?" He was so considerate, it made me smile.

"If you could. I'll be about 5 minutes. Ok?" He nodded, before walking out of the hall.

"Sev!" I shouted, just catching the back of him, his familiar head of shoulder length black hair disappearing into the crowd of Slytherin guys.

"Sev!" Severus turned round, as I ran up to him.

"Selene." He said unemotionaly. I rolled my eyes. Why did he have to act so...different when he was with his 'friends'.

"Ah, Selene, just the girl I wanted to see." Lucius had stepped towards me.

"Hey Lucius." I smiled timidly, not showing how much his creepy smile was unnerving me.

"It was such a shame" He stepped closer to me, so I stepped back, only to find my path blocked by more Slytherins. "that you didn't get into Slytherin." He reached up to put his hand on my face but I turned away.

"We could have had, such fun..." His low, drawling voice was starting to creep me out, as he stepped even closer. I looked over to Severus, who was trying to avoid my gaze. Why wouldn't he help me? I knew he could see how uncomfortable Lucius was making me. I'd told him how much I hated people getting that close to me.