Chapter Three

A few moments later Haymitch was already to go wearing a smart black suit which was in the style of a coal miner but was showing of Hyamitch's handsome features. Haymitch waited outside for Effie who yet had to make an appearance. Haymitch paced up and down the corridor waiting for Effie. As he was waiting for Effie, Haymitch got to see the other tributes for the first time in the flesh after seeing their reaping's on the train ride to the capitol but he didn't know many of them personally but he knew of them. Haymitch watched as the tributes came out of their dressing rooms in their outfits representing each district with their mentors and fellow tributes.
"Come on Effie How much longer are they going to take we've only got half an hour left " haymitch muttered as he began to feel uncomfortable and rather embarrassed to say he needed Effie there to calm him down.
A few moments later Effie came out of her dressing room and walked to Haymitch who had his back to her so she cleared her throat.
"About bloody time Effie" Haymitch said bluntly but was cut off from saying more as he turned round to face Effie who now looked stunning in a simple black jumpsuit which hugged her in all the right places but was a soft cotton material and Effie's pink wig that she was wearing ealier was now replaced with her natural blonde hair which was pulled back into a nice low side bun with a black rose.
"You look....." Haymitch couldn't take his eyes off Effie so he never noticed that she had spoken to him.
"You look very handsome" Effie giggled as she saw Haymitch's hungry eyes taking every inch of her curvaceous body in the jump suit.
"Where are Peta and Hope?" Effie asked Haymitch who shrugged his shoulders.  Katniss carefully walked out from Effie's dressing room wearing a plain red prom style dress which was a strapless gown with a red strapless dress which touched the floor. Katniss's luscious chocolate locks were nicely styled with little French plaits.
"Oh Katniss sweetheart you look beautiful" Effie felt warm salty tears slipping down her cheeks.
"You look like your mother" Haymitch said finally finding his voice at last.
" ermm...thanks Haymitch and Effie , you look amazing too and don't worry" Hope rushed over to her tributes and gave them both a hug and hugged Effie her back whilst Haymitch backed away.
"Come on you two let's get you on your carts" Cinna announced as he and Harlow directed them towards their cart where Haymitch let Effie get on the cart first. As Effie climbed on the cart Haymitch's eyes felt to her behind but he quickly took his mind of her behind as he climbed onto the cart next to Effie.
"We better take our seats and we will see you after the opening ceremony" Hope placed her hand on Katniss's bare shoulder which made her jump as Hope's hands were cold.
"Bye, Good luck you two remember shoulders back,heads up straight " Peta called out joining them before he and Katniss walked away with Hope to take their seats. Cinna and Harlow went further back stage to watch the ceremony. This gave Haymitch and Effie some alone time.
"OH MY" Effie placed a hand over mouth at who she saw a few carts down representing district 6.
"What the hell is wrong with you" Haymitch snapped wanting to know what was happening
"Don't look yet but the 2 representing district 6 well the guy was a my ex and the girl was my former best friend before she took my boyfriend away from me" Effie couldn't believe the odds of this happening and right now of all times.
"Come on snap out of it, don't let this get to you Effie other wise you'll be a goner"   Haymitch could sense see the sadness and hurt in Effie's usually sparkling eyes so he did the only thing he could think of, he pulled her close into him. Effie snuggled up to Haymitch until they felt their cart beginning to move slowly. Effie moved away from Haymitch slightly so she could hold her head high as they entered the ceremony. The cheers that erupted from the crowd for all the tributes was deafening but Haymitch and Effie could hear people chanting their names as they looked round the crowd.
Haymitch had a good Idea so; he grabbed hold of Effie's small delicate hand but she resisted wondering what he was going.
"do you trust me?" Haymitch whispered into Effie's ear as he attempted to hold Effie's hand but this time she went along with it. Haymitch held on to Effie's hand but he brought their entwined hands up to show the capitol they were ready and nothing was going to break then up and proud to be represent district 12 and the crowd went wild cheering , clapping and even whistling.
In a few moments it was all over and they were now listening to president Snow's speech welcoming them to the games which they as escorts have heard hundreds of times. Once Snow's speech was over the carts started moving again and brought them back stage where they dismounted the carts and were greeted by their mentors.
"Wow that was amazing" Peta said squealing with excitement.
"Well done you two but, what I want to know who's Idea was it to hold hands" Hope said raising an eye brow at them both.
"It was all my idea princess and it worked" Haymitch said as he glanced at Effie who looked worried.
"Ok let's get you back to the apartment as you have a busy day ahead of you tomorrow" Hope said smiling
Once they reached their pent house apartment they all collapsed on the sofa Katniss stood up still wearing her red gown.
"Alright this is what will happen tomorrow, Haymitch you will go down to training with the rest of the them but,me and Hope have spoken to Plutarch for Effie to have private lessons until you are ready to join the rest of the team and wait for it ..... I will be training you Effie" Katniss looked at the stunned faces around the room.
"How did you manage that?" Haymitch asked as no one said anything
"Well Seneca thinks' it is Hope who is training Effie but it will actually be me and you know I have been shooting since I was 5 and I know how to handle knives and of course I am very gifted at the bow and arrow" Katniss said rather cockily.
"alright if you are sure and of course if Effie agree to all of this" Haymitch turned his head to Effie who's gaze was at the floor.
"alright if you think it will help" Effie lifted her gaze to look at Haymitch then at Katniss who was smiling and hope even had smirk on her face.
" you'll be fine Effie and remember Katniss maybe very arrogant  and stubborn but, she certainly can handle a bow and arrow" Peta said sensing Effie's fear.
They all called it night but of course Effie couldn't sleep. She crept past Haymitch's room and crept out of the penthouse and walked along the corridor and opened the door to the roof and walked towards the ledge, sat down and looked out to the Capitol all lite up for what could be the last time she would see. All Effie's mind kept thinking about was how could her former victor teacher how to defend herself when she should be the one to be teaching them.