Chapter 1 (Edited)

Hi guys, this is my first attempt to write multi chapter story. You already know the summary (it is given before this chapter and it's really bad so it's fine if you have skipped it) so instead of mentioning it again I will just start with the story. I hope you all like it. 

Enjoy!!!

Edited: 10/03/2019

********************************************************************************************

"Love is an untamed force. When we try to control it, it destroys us. When we try to imprison it, it enslaves us. When we try to understand it, it leaves us feeling lost and confused."

- Paulo Coelho

*****************************************************************************************************

Jonathan winced as he woke up, the curtains of the window were wide open and sun rays were directly falling on him blind him for a moment before his eyes adjusted to the light. He looked around the room, the antique vase that his wife no 'ex-wife' he reminded himself had adored so much was now lying broken on the floor. The book shelf which was once filled with her favourite books was now nearly empty with one or two books lying here and there, rest of the books were either torn in half and were lying on the floor or they were burned and were now nothing but ashes. The photo frame holding a picture of him and Liza gazing at each other was now broken and shards of glass were strewn across the floor and the picture itself was now ripped just like his heart. He wondered where the love which was filled in the eyes of the man and woman gazing at each other in the picture had faded away leaving nothing but a blank look.

The pain of betrayal had crushed his soul; it had cut him deeper than any knife could. Along with agony his soul was feeling, came throbbing ache of his head. He winced once again as his head ached and he remembered exactly why Liza hated alcohol as he took in the sight of broken beer bottles lying on the floor . He put on his slippers and managed to go to the medical cupboard in the bathroom, dodging the pieces of glass, to save himself from more pain. He took out an Advil and swallowed it with tap water, not caring whether it was clean enough for drinking or not. He splashed some water on his face and stared at man in the mirror. He had dark circles, his skin was pale in colour and there were some bruises on his face from the fight at bar, his clothes were crumpled, in short, he was a mess.

Last night had been hell for him, after throwing Liza out of their house he had drunk himself to oblivion, he had gone to the bar and when they had thrown him out because it was past their closing time, he had emptied his stash of liquor too. It was a miracle that he had not suffered from alcohol poisoning. When he had entered the bedroom the previous night all the memories of his beautiful Liza and all the moments they had shared in that room came crashing down on him but along with them came the betrayal.

He wanted to forget her, but all he could see was how she looked when he told her that he wanted divorce, her deep chocolate eyes were rimmed from red , her brown hair were tangled , her usually smiling face was expressionless and although he knew that she cheated he still felt guilty that he was the one who put Liza in that state, 'How do you know for sure that she cheated on you ?' asked a small voice in his head after all he didn't have any proof of her cheating other than the fact that he had seen her hug someone else and that someone had kissed her forehead and the small voice in the back of his mind kept telling him that 'maybe Liza is innocent, maybe she never cheated' but the larger part of his mind shut that voice. he knew what cheating looked like, he knew all those minor changes that a person made when they were cheating or hiding something from their partner, he knew all of them too well. 

In a fit of rage he began destroying everything that held memories of her, in destroying all the evidence that she even existed he knew that he was destroying himself but he didn't care. There wasn't much of him left anyways.

Jonathan sighed as he came out of the bathroom and once again looked at view in front of him, the first thought that came to his mind was that 'Liza will kill me' and once again it hit him there will be no Liza in the house to get angry at him because he had already kicked her out of the house yesterday. Shaking his head and suppressing the wave of pain that threatened to drown him again and making him seek sweet repose of intoxication, he took a broom and began clearing the broken bottles and pieces of glass, and he picked up the half torn books and threw them in the trash bag along with pieces of glass.

While he was emptying a drawer which once contained Liza's old stuff but now mostly contained the ripped up photos, the remnants of their time together. He found an antique metal box and he wondered how it had managed to survive the storm of rage last night. There were beautiful flower patterns engraved on the box and in the middle was a big green gem. He had never seen the box before, out of curiosity he opened the box and dozens of letters came tumbling out. He wondered who had written these letters, maybe Liza's lover with whom she had cheated on him, thinking about it made his blood boil and once again the smaller part of his mind began whispering that 'Maybe Liza was never at fault'. He grabbed a random letter and opened it. That letter was dated six months back and in his Liza's beautiful handwriting there was written

'To,

Dear Jonathan'.

He closed it and grabbed another letter it was dated 2 years back and was again written to him, he opened many letters one after another hoping to find the proof that he desperately needed to justify that  Liza had cheated on him but each that he letter opened, no matter when it was dated it was written to him and was signed as

'Eternally in love with you,

Yours and only yours

Liza.'

*****************************************************************************************************

I hope you guys liked this chapter. Please give me your opinions about this chapter and please vote. I know this chapter was kind of sad but don't worry the next chapter won't be this sad (hopefully). I am most probably going to include about how Jonathan asked Liza out for the first time. So keep calm and wait for it lovely people.

~ ThesarcasticBrunette